How to hide the "Separate" Account category

On the left side of my screen there an area for all accounts - grouped by account type. Before I switched to the Starter Edition I had a type for Banking, Assets, Investments, etc and, at the end, type labeled 'Separate'. Apparently this bucket is for accounts that are not be included in the Net Worth total but still visible (I am assuming). I don't use this bucket and would like to remove the label. Is there a way to remove the 'Separate' label from the accounts list area?

Not really a start up question but didn't see a more logical place to post this question.

Thanks.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    No.  We do not have an way to remove the Separate label from the Accounts Bar.
  • Brent Spomer
    Brent Spomer Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. Is there a way to remove the balance totals of the accounts that are showing under the Seperate label? I have edited the display options for the accounts so checking all the boxes that pertain to display yet the totals are still there. Other than deleting the account can I get them to now show their totals anywhere on my working pages?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. Is there a way to remove the balance totals of the accounts that are showing under the Seperate label? I have edited the display options for the accounts so checking all the boxes that pertain to display yet the totals are still there. Other than deleting the account can I get them to now show their totals anywhere on my working pages?
    There is not a way to remove the balance totals of the accounts that are showing under the Separate label.  We may hide the account name from appearing in the Account Bar and Account List.  We may collapse the Separate label.  We may choose not to show amounts in the Account Bar.  We may choose not to display the Account Bar.

There is not an account setting that prevents our ability to view the account balance.  We may hide the accounts so that they're not included by default. 

Perhaps you may satisfy your requirement by zeroing out the account balances.
  • Brent Spomer
    Brent Spomer Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. I tried zeroing out the balances and, for some of the accounts, this was possible and for others, it was not. Because I now have the Starter Edition it appears I am not able to manipulate any investment accounts.

I could delete these accounts and this would also solve my issue. And I know if I delete the accounts they can not be recovered - at least from my current file. Of course, I create back-ups via the Quicken feature several times per wee and I archive the storage media (and all its files) on a regular basis independent of what I'm doing with Quicken backups.

So I'm wondering if specifically save a (or use one of my saved) copy of my current file and then delete the accounts, can I open this saved copy using Quicken Premier (that I'd purchase in the future) if I'd like to review transactions from these accounts?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. I tried zeroing out the balances and, for some of the accounts, this was possible and for others, it was not. Because I now have the Starter Edition it appears I am not able to manipulate any investment accounts.

I could delete these accounts and this would also solve my issue. And I know if I delete the accounts they can not be recovered - at least from my current file. Of course, I create back-ups via the Quicken feature several times per wee and I archive the storage media (and all its files) on a regular basis independent of what I'm doing with Quicken backups.

So I'm wondering if specifically save a (or use one of my saved) copy of my current file and then delete the accounts, can I open this saved copy using Quicken Premier (that I'd purchase in the future) if I'd like to review transactions from these accounts?
    You should be able to open the earlier copies or backup Quicken files.

Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud accountappropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Brent Spomer
    Brent Spomer Member ✭✭
    Hi Sherlock, As it turns out I don't have files on the cloud. Never had the need I guess. But I ran into another problem in that I can't close some of my investment accounts. I started a new thread as the topic has changed somewhat. Thanks for your help as I move through this.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sherlock, As it turns out I don't have files on the cloud. Never had the need I guess. But I ran into another problem in that I can't close some of my investment accounts. I started a new thread as the topic has changed somewhat. Thanks for your help as I move through this.
    I didn't say anything about files on the cloud.

Whether you're aware of it or not, when we open a Quicken file, some of the data in the Quicken file is copied to cloud account even if we never enabled Sync or selected any accounts to b synchronized.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the list of accounts using Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts.
    If you have one or more accounts marked "Separate", then the "Separate" section will appear in the Account Bar.
    To get rid of the "Separate" section you must unmark all accounts marked "separate". That will make them show in their original section, by name, or if marked "Hide in Account Bar", they will show under a "More accounts" header in each section.
    Not being able to close investment accounts (or other unsupported account types) since your downgrade to Starter Edition is a side effect of using the limited Starter. You can't work with unsupported account types. Catch-22.
This discussion has been closed.