Investments Performance (comparison)

ninfru
ninfru Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Is it possible to run a comparison report for individual Stocks?
So one can see particular investment(s) performance against indexes (NASDAQ, SP500 etc.) and also against other purchased (or not) stocks.
I can open Price History graph for any stock in my portfolio and see performance for up to 5 years. But I cant find a tool to add other stocks or Indexes for comparison.
Such report is available within Google Finance, but comparison works for maximum 2 stocks/indexes. Used to be more robust with max more than 2, but sadly not anymore.
I can see Growth $10K report, but this is for entire portfolio.
Thank you

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In an Investing > Portfolio view, you can include the Avg Annual Return (%) columns and group by Security. This will show your personal performance (IRR) for 1, 3, and 5 years. 

Sorry, this data is only for securities you own and does not include indexes or the Watch list.

If you want to plot this data, you can export to Excel by going to File > Print and choosing the Export option.

You can select securities to include in the Growth of $10,000 graph to compare to indexes but only one security or group of securities at a time. Also, despite the on-screen text, none of the indexes in the Growth of $10,000 include dividends.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have not explored this fully, but ...

Below the Growth of $10K is (should be?) a table of Average Annual Return comparisons.  The customization (gear) options for that table include a "Show Security Performance" option.  When that comes up, additional customization to specific securities appears possible.   

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    In an Investing > Portfolio view, you can include the Avg Annual Return (%) columns and group by Security. This will show your personal performance (IRR) for 1, 3, and 5 years. 

Sorry, this data is only for securities you own and does not include indexes or the Watch list.

If you want to plot this data, you can export to Excel by going to File > Print and choosing the Export option.

You can select securities to include in the Growth of $10,000 graph to compare to indexes but only one security or group of securities at a time. Also, despite the on-screen text, none of the indexes in the Growth of $10,000 include dividends.
  • ninfru
    ninfru Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim for detailed answer.
    And thanks for clarifying about dividends in Growth.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have not explored this fully, but ...

Below the Growth of $10K is (should be?) a table of Average Annual Return comparisons.  The customization (gear) options for that table include a "Show Security Performance" option.  When that comes up, additional customization to specific securities appears possible.   
  • Jim_Harman
    If you would like to compare to the S&P 500 total return, which includes reinvested dividends, in the Growth of $10K, you can add the security index:spxt to your security list and select the security type as Market Index. 
  • ninfru
    ninfru Member ✭✭
    Yes, I explored Security Performance Comparison report and this is great.
    2 points:
    1) I purchased a Stock 3 months ago and I am approximately 180% up. Within this report it shows 3429% average Annual return for 1 year. So I would guess Quicken is taking 3 months performance and forecast same return for remaining 9 months. This is misleading. Should stay at 180% from my point of view. Or display "-" for insufficient data, but I would prefer "180%"
    I will explore and read more about that on how Quicken arrived to such a huge number.
    2) I was also hoping for a graph as it is easier for simple analysis.
    This is a great report. But still, I would like verify the numbers for accuracy.
    Thanks again!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ninfru
    Yes, the average annual return (aka IRR) calculation does extrapolate short periods of time to a full year. 

The Investment Performance Report allows the user a little more flexibility in that you can specify custom dates.  Compare the results for a YTD time period versus a Current Year (2021) selection.  The first extrapolates; the second assumes the year ends just as thing are today.  There a Graph option with that report, though I do not find it helpful.  Not a time scale, but rather a bar graph of the selected securities.  the report/graph is fully customizable, but as noted before, no option for indexes to be included.  

It appears the customization selection I pointed at is a preset portfolio view as a pop-up window.  Some odd behavior come along with that, but it may prove useful (still exploring).    
  • ninfru
    ninfru Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    For Point #1 above: one can add ROI (%) 1, 3 and 5 years. and this is what I was looking for!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to be watchful with respect to ROI figures from Quicken, especially for any security you might trade in and out of (versus a buy-and-hold security). 
  • ninfru
    ninfru Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    ROI is also not accurate.
    for a stock I bought 3 months ago it show N/A ROI % 1 year.
    And for another stock I bought in 2018 I have a gain of 34.45% - can clearly see that if open the stock by clicking on a ticker My Holdings section in upper left corner. But ROI % 1 Year shows 70.08%. Not sure how Quicken arrived to such number.
    Conclusion so far - Security Performance Comparison report is not accurate at all. Sadly.
  • Jim_Harman
    Some notes on the ROI (%) numbers:

-- They are NOT annualized so an investment that grows at 5% per year for 3 years will show ROI (%) of 15%. But this will give you the numbers you are looking for for YTD or other periods of less than 1 year.

-- IMO the ROI (%) is calculated correctly for individual securities but sometimes not at the account level. See this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20097732
  • Mark Helman
    Mark Helman Member ✭✭
    I see the two options of using (i) Investing, Performance and (ii) Investing, Portfolio, Historic Performance.

I am interested in the aggregate performance of a subgroup of securities (not all) in my account, in addition to individual securities' performance, though.

Using option (ii), I have set up a customized investing goal for each of the securities in this subgroup, but it still shows only the individual securities' performance, not the aggregate performance of the subgroup.

Is there a way to obtain the aggregate performance of a subgroup of securities within an account?
  • Jim_Harman
    If you go to Reports > Investing > Investment Performance you can select a group of securities to analyze. Be sure to include No Security (includes cash in your selections.
  • Mark Helman
    Mark Helman Member ✭✭
    Great - thanks for the tip Jim! The settings for that report also permit me to select my customized investment goal, which picks up the relevant group of securities (although without the No Security selection for cash).
  • TomTom
    TomTom Member ✭✭
    @Jim_Harman thank you for including the instructions on how to print and export the investing portfolio screen. You are a dream!
This discussion has been closed.