How to export state ID to tax export file?

pigglety
pigglety Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm using Quicken Starter Edition 2020 R30.21 for Windows and I live in Pennsylvania (PA). I'm trying to export state quarterly estimated tax payment transactions to a tax export (TXF) file from a Tax Schedule Report. I added a "PA estimated" subcategory to the Tax category and set the subcategory's Tax Line Item to "Schedule A:State estimated tax, qrtrly". When I look at the exported .TXF file, the state (PA) was not included in the description fields. The description fields are just "P" instead of "PPA". I've tried adding a "PA" memo, a "PA" tag, and a "PA" note to the transactions, but the exported .TXF file still does not include the state in the description fields. Has anyone figured out how to get Quicken to include the state in the descriptions in the .TXF file?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt if this will make a difference, but please check to see that in Edit / Preferences / Reports only the box at Category display has the radio button set at "Name" and try the export again.
  • pigglety
    pigglety Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR. The "Category display" was set to Name. I tried changing it to Description and to Both, but unfortunately the exported .TXF files were identical, without the state ID.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that you are talking about line that is a "code" and isn't the "description".

I tried setting reproducing this  in both Premier and Starter and get the same thing.
    V042
    AQuicken Starter Edition R30
    D 1/15/2021
    ^
    TD
    N522
    C1
    L1
    D 1/15/2021
    $-300.00
    P
    X 1/15/2021 Checking                              Quarterly Payment                          Test Memo                                Tax:PA estimate
    ^
    TS
    N522
    C1
    L1
    $-300.00
    ^

Are you referring to the P that I highlighted above?
    This P is the "coding" of the transaction for the tax program, not the description line.

Note that the "payee/description" for the transaction I put in is "Quarterly Payment".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pigglety
    pigglety Member ✭✭
    Yes Chris, I'm referring to that P that you highlighted. Sorry for any confusion; the https://taxdataexchange.org/txf/index.html page called the P field type a description. In the "Sample Format 6 Data Record" at the bottom of that page, the state code (NY) is shown after the P.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link I had never seen a description of what the lines are exactly.

Well all I can say is that I'm seeing the same thing you are and in fact I see the same thing for my federal estimated tax entries.  I don't use this function, so this is the first I have seen of it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pigglety -- Just asking --- Why is it important to you to get the 'P' field (a description) to reflect the state ID?  Do you expect the tax software to read that field that way?  Is it for your interpretation of the TXF file?  

Although I may have chosen to include some state designation in category or transaction descriptions, Quicken does not 'know' what state is involved.  The program has no expectation that I have used a state ID in any particular manner.   

As I understand it, that Sample Format just represents the way info might be passed.  I don't take it as an obligation on anyone's part. 

Again, just asking. 
  • pigglety
    pigglety Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker - I'm trying to see if can get tax software to import the state ID, but I haven't been successful yet. Intuit was involved in developing the TXF specification and developing Quicken, and Intuit develops TurboTax. So I figured there must be some way of getting the state ID into the TXF file so that tax software like TurboTax will import it. I thought maybe Quicken would know which state is involved if I tag transactions with the state ID, or if I set the payee's address via the Memorized Payee List, but neither of those ideas worked.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no provisions I know of in Quicken to specifically identify the state for a category that has a Schedule A or W-2 tax line assigned referring to state tax withheld.  Relying on the memo, payee, or specific category name is not possible.  By that I mean Quicken has not told anyone to use the State ID in some specific manner to accomplish that and there is no defined 'field' to hold that info.

You may want to inquire at the Turbotax help sites about any provisions in their software for importing the state id. 
    https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/home/misc/03/en-us  

When I generate the TXF file from Quicken and import it into TurboTax, I have always then gone into Turbotax to fill in the appropriate state ID.    
  • pigglety
    pigglety Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker - Thanks, I'll try the TurboTax path as you suggested.
This discussion has been closed.