General Error- Schwab

This discussion was created from comments split from: Schwab Download/Update returns Error 403 on all acounts.

Comments

• boazii
    boazii Member ✭✭
    Trying to log in to Schwab Retirement Plan services for the first time through Quicken (my employer switched 401k providers), I'm able to log in via the website, but getting General Error when trying to log in via Quicken. I'm logging in using a password without any special character, not using VPN, etc, no one to call during the weekend/holiday. Any advice anyone??
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @boazii

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. What is the exact error you're getting when you try connecting? I see you're trying the  Schwab Retirement Plan services connection I might also recommend trying the normal Schwab connection as well to see if we might have some success with that **** well.  This is a new account as well from the sounds of it so we don't have too much else to work with besides the error you get when trying. Once you get a chance let us know some more details!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• boazii
    boazii Member ✭✭
    The error I'm getting is 'Quicken cannot access your accounts at Schwab Retirement Plan Services, The following message is from Schwab Retirement Plan Service "General Error"' I can log in to the Schwab Retirement Plan services website without issues. I tried to use "Charles Schwab and Co, Inc." and 2 other Schwab connection with no luck... Yes, this is a new account, I wasn't able to connect successfully... I can't get phone support from Schwab until Tuesday because of the weekend/holiday in case the issue is on their end. Do you have any suggestions?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @boazii

Thanks for the information. After taking a bit more of a look a the connection it would be best to contact Schwab support as they'll have a better idea of what to do to get it activated. I do know they allow you to download a QFX file to be imported into your quicken but that's not fully connected online. I think in this case it would be best to try to contact Schwab on Tuesday when you do get the chance to. I'll leave a link down below with their support hours.

https://workplace.schwab.com/public/workplace/nn/contact-us.html

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this old notice in my records. Hope it helps ...

Error OL 301 with Schwab accounts (or "General error 2000")?

Logon to your Internet account at Schwab's website and make sure that in your profile, Security Center, "Third Party Access" is set to "Allow".
    Wait several minutes before attempting to download from Quicken again.

Quicken Mac users: Make sure that your account is connected to Schwab using the "Direct Connect"  method by clicking the "Options" button in the Add Account screen..

• boazii
    boazii Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the information UKR. The 3rd party access option in the Security section of Schwab must have been an old option that was removed, Schwab does comment that to connect to Schwab with Quicken you must use a password without special characters, that seems to be the only requirement, I verified that the Direct Connect is the default when adding a new account so I'm good, but I still getting General Error, so just wanting to speak to Schwab support team tomorrow and go from there...
  • boazii
    boazii Member ✭✭
    Hi Francisco -
    So Schwab support team tells me that Schwab Retirement Plan Services does not support Quicken 2020 for Mac, only Quicken 2018, and that is the reason I get this error message. They couldn't provide me more information. Can you confirm this information?
  • boazii
    boazii Member ✭✭
    Update- After Schwab advised me of incompatibility with Quicken 2020, I made a last attempt to connect last night and surprisingly was able to connect to Schwab retirement using Quicken 2020. After so many failed attempts, not sure what changed on Schwab’s side to allow me to connect.
  • Bs1055
    Bs1055 Member
    Still not working for me despite removing special characters from password.
This discussion has been closed.