Moving data from Win Quicken 2010 to Mac Quicken 2017

Options
I’m attempting to convert Quicken 2010 data to Mac Quicken 2017. Using Quicken Help as a guide, QDF not accepted without using Quicken I Cloud (requiring a subscription), QXF from Quicken 2010 not accepted at all-the Mac 2017 wants to defer to QDF which prompts the I Cloud message. Quicken.com/converter is apparently not available. Same issues whether attempting to restore data or setting up new file in Mac Quicken 2017.

Mac Quicken 2017 was downloaded a couple of years ago and at that time Quicken 2010 data was transferred successfully. Reluctance to switch entirely to Mac has delayed things till now.

Any other suggestions?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In the current Quicken Mac, all conversions are performed via a converter running on a cloud server. (Technically, this is not "the Quicken Cloud", which is used for data syncing, but a separate service which simply uploads your data, runs it through a converter, downloads the converted data back to your local Mac, and deletes the file in the cloud. 

Originally, Quicken 2017 didn't use this process because it didn't exist yet. But I believe sometime after the cloud conversion was implemented (shortly after macOS Catalina was released in fall 2019), they made a change to have Quicken 2017 use the cloud conversion process as well. 

The problem you face is that, as you are likely aware, Quicken 2017 online services support was discontinued in April 2020. And since the conversion uses an online service… you run into the problem you encountered.

What version of Quicken 2017 are you running? It's possible that if you can find one earlier than 4.6.6, it might work using the original built-in converter. (I don't know that for certain, I'm just guessing.) But trying to find an older version of Quicken 2017 might prove difficult, unless you happen to have the old version in your trash or on a backup.

Otherwise, I think you have two options: (1) export your Quicken data as a QXF file in Quicken Windows, and import the QXF file in Quicken Mac, or (2) purchase a current subscription so you can utilize the latest online converter. The latter has the significant advantage of more than three years of enhancements and fixe to the Quicken Mac software, but of course carries a cost.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In the current Quicken Mac, all conversions are performed via a converter running on a cloud server. (Technically, this is not "the Quicken Cloud", which is used for data syncing, but a separate service which simply uploads your data, runs it through a converter, downloads the converted data back to your local Mac, and deletes the file in the cloud. 

Originally, Quicken 2017 didn't use this process because it didn't exist yet. But I believe sometime after the cloud conversion was implemented (shortly after macOS Catalina was released in fall 2019), they made a change to have Quicken 2017 use the cloud conversion process as well. 

The problem you face is that, as you are likely aware, Quicken 2017 online services support was discontinued in April 2020. And since the conversion uses an online service… you run into the problem you encountered.

What version of Quicken 2017 are you running? It's possible that if you can find one earlier than 4.6.6, it might work using the original built-in converter. (I don't know that for certain, I'm just guessing.) But trying to find an older version of Quicken 2017 might prove difficult, unless you happen to have the old version in your trash or on a backup.

Otherwise, I think you have two options: (1) export your Quicken data as a QXF file in Quicken Windows, and import the QXF file in Quicken Mac, or (2) purchase a current subscription so you can utilize the latest online converter. The latter has the significant advantage of more than three years of enhancements and fixe to the Quicken Mac software, but of course carries a cost.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • drbjordan
    drbjordan Member
    Options
    My Quicken 2017 version is 4.8.6 and unfortunately its the only version I possess.

I had already tried to import a QXF file. The Mac program wouldn't import this file and instead suggested the QDF file. Then I was denied the cloud conversion without a subscription.

I guess its time to concede and subscribe. The enhancements you mention will help counter my reluctance.

Thanks for replying to me. It definitely eased my frustration.
This discussion has been closed.