How does Web Connect or Express Web Connect work?

Dean Mechler
Dean Mechler Member ✭✭✭
What gets downloaded into Quicken with Web Connect or Express Web Connect?  If I have made entries into Quicken will they be duplicated in the download from my bank?  If I use my bank's bill paying service will those payments automatically get added to my Quicken register and when, upon entry with my entry in my bank's bill pay or after the payment has cleared the bank?  Very confusing and very little information about how to use.  Plenty of info on how to install/activate......  Frankly, Online Bill Pay was the best.  Q's new bill pay is undependable, limited and confusing to use.  Got to be a better way....

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

What gets downloaded into Quicken with Web Connect or Express Web Connect? 

Generally, transactions and balances.  We may view the Web Connect's QFX file and the Express Web Connect's OFX Log: select Help > Log Files > OFX Log

If I have made entries into Quicken will they be duplicated in the download from my bank? 

Possibly.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/handling-downloaded-transactions

If I use my bank's bill paying service will those payments automatically get added to my Quicken register and when, upon entry with my entry in my bank's bill pay or after the payment has cleared the bank? 
    The payment transaction should be available to be downloaded when the payment has cleared the financial institution.
  • Dean Mechler
    Dean Mechler Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock.  All good reasons to not use web connect.  I'd have no idea where my balances or payments are until they clear my bank.  My Quicken register would be "hamburger".  Direct Connect looks like the answer but so few banks work with it.  Oh how I miss Online Bill Pay...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock.  All good reasons to not use web connect.  I'd have no idea where my balances or payments are until they clear my bank.  My Quicken register would be "hamburger".  Direct Connect looks like the answer but so few banks work with it.  Oh how I miss Online Bill Pay...
    Generally, we use the ability to import transactions from the financial institutions to verify our entries.  Note: Online Bill Payment is available at over 500 financial institutions.
This discussion has been closed.