Quicken Connect not downloading all posted transactions

frankfurter
frankfurter Member ✭✭✭
I recently switched banks from Ally to Radius. I had little to no problems with Ally / Quicken.

With Radius, I frequently have an issue where I use direct connect, but all the posted transactions do not show up in Quicken. However, I if then download the QFX file, the expected transactions will get entered into Quicken.

The missing transactions will usually appear if I try again after lunch or the next morning.

I was under the impression that if it's showing as posted (not pending) on the bank website, Quicken Connect should bring it into my register.

I also occasionally see duplicates get added to my register using Quicken Connect. This is not as big a problem for me, just mentioning it in case it adds to the issue.

Radius (of course) thinks it's a Quicken issue. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @frankfurter

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here what exactly is going on as you mentioned you use direct connect so we're not able to see as much but I think it may be worth trying in a test file to see if we're experiencing similar issues. To do this in the top right select file > new > Start from scratch > select your categories > Select don't use quicken mobile and web.

From here you should be able to add the accounts again and we'll want to test if with direct connect we'll see if we experience similar issues. Depending on what you're able to find we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• frankfurter
    frankfurter Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Francisco. I am trying that.

One note for this method in the future - I have dozens of accounts and 20 years worth of data in my data file. It was all wiped out with this method. Fortunately I have adequate backups and was able to restore my original data file, make a safe copy, then run the "From Scratch" method.

I'll watch it for awhile and report back.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @frankfurter

Thanks for the update. Once you do get the chance let us know and we'll see what we can do then. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It seems that a few things need to be explained so that the correct expectations are set.

1. No matter what the connection method you are not guaranteed "real time" downloading of transactions.  When transactions available depends largely on when the financial institution decides to make them available, but can even be delayed past that time depending on the connection method.
    2. It is a requirement for Quicken that the transactions be posted because Quicken has no way of deleting a transaction if it download pending transactions that then didn't go through.  This isn't to say that you will get all posted transactions immediately after they are posted (see #1).
    3. Web Connect/QFX file, clearly the financial institution decides what to put in the file.  But note there isn't a requirement for them to put all the posted transaction in that file even though it is a common practice to do so.
    4. Quicken Connect is Quicken contacting a Quicken "cloud" server and syncing with account to get the transactions there.  Which in turn gets its transactions from an Intuit server, which in turn gets them from the financial institution's web server based on an agreement on when an how to do it.  Here is where added delays can happen because a given financial institution might not allow the downloading of transactions except at a certain time period like nightly.
    5. Direct Connect is Quicken using the OFX protocol to contact the OFX server at the financial institution.  This will get all the transactions that server has, but the transactions come from the financial institution's "finance/backend servers" and the financial institution may or may not make those available when they post.  For instance USAA only pushes the transactions to their OFX server once in the night.
    On the subject of duplicate transactions.  Quicken determines if a transaction is new by the unique Id that is assigned to it.  For Web Connect and Direct Connect the financial institution sets these, and they are very good at not only they being unique, but also that the same transactions will get the same unique Id.

For Quicken Connect there are a couple of possibilities.  One is that the financial institution is providing a QFX file and as such again creating the unique Ids.  But not all financial institutions will provide this and as such when the Intuit servers get the data in say a format like CSV they have to assign it an unique Id.

There are two know bugs in the way Intuit assigns these Ids.  The first is that they use some kind of "seed number" that they store and the unique Ids they generate are based on an "increment" of this "seed number".  When you Reset or Deactivate/Reactivate an account they create a new "seed number" and as such all the unique Ids change and as such Quicken thinks they are new transactions and you get duplicate ones.

The second bug is that if you have two or more transactions on the same day for the same payee and amount, the Intuit server will give them both the same unique Id and as such Quicken will think the second one is a duplicate and not download it into the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • frankfurter
    frankfurter Member ✭✭✭
    Good info, Chris, I will keep all that in mind as I review.
  • frankfurter
    frankfurter Member ✭✭✭
    Chris / Francisco - for various reasons, I decided to abandon Radius bank and go back to Ally. Mainly because of the Quicken issues, and I just don't have the motivation to troubleshoot it. Radius has been helpful in trying to figure it out, but they're pointing to my Quicken install (of course).

All I know is, it's worked for years and years at Ally with no issues for me, and I have switched everything back to Ally. I appreciate the info and help, but we can call this closed. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.