Stock Split Failed to Update Older Lots

I was doing some end of year housekeeping and discovered the Apple split back in August did not process the stock split on an older lot. I have two lots of stock, one purchased 6/2019 and another 4/2019. The lot purchased 6/2019 was properly updated, but the 4/2019 was not.

How can I apply the split to the older lot? To complicate matters, the older lot has had shares sold, so there isn't just a single entry I can tweak.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you look at a portfolio view (or maybe a Holdings view if you have that preference), cycle the As of date through time and monitor the lots held.  When did the older lot go away?  What transactions took place on that date?  What happens as you cross through the spinoff date?  

Saying the split was entered "via the data feed" doesn't say anything.  What "data feed"?  From whom? What specific transactions?

Also, were the shares from the older lot (less than the entire lot) sold off before or after the real world split?  

The only transactions that should be appearing in your Quicken transactions list for this event is a StkSplit of AAPL on or about 8/31/2020 as a 4-for-1 split.  That will automatically apply to all shares held in that account on that date.  

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    How did you enter the split?

If you used the Stock Split wizard (open an investment account, press Ctrl + N, select Stock Split in the Enter transaction: pull-down menu), you should see the StkSplit action in the Transaction History in the Security Detail View window of the security.  If the StkSplit is present, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions described in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows If the issue persists, I suggest you delete the StkSplit transaction and enter it again.
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    The stock split was entered via data feed. Copy and Validate did not fix it, nor did deleting and re-entering it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    JRMagee said:
    The stock split was entered via data feed. Copy and Validate did not fix it, nor did deleting and re-entering it.
    I suggest you delete the data feed entry and any placeholder transactions you may have inadvertently accepted and use the Stock Split wizard to enter the split.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    I tried deleting the split entry and checked the holdings. Both older lots were gone. Re-entering the split restored the older lots with the newer lot having the split applied.

Guess I'll be spending some time with support on Monday.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you look at a portfolio view (or maybe a Holdings view if you have that preference), cycle the As of date through time and monitor the lots held.  When did the older lot go away?  What transactions took place on that date?  What happens as you cross through the spinoff date?  

Saying the split was entered "via the data feed" doesn't say anything.  What "data feed"?  From whom? What specific transactions?

Also, were the shares from the older lot (less than the entire lot) sold off before or after the real world split?  

The only transactions that should be appearing in your Quicken transactions list for this event is a StkSplit of AAPL on or about 8/31/2020 as a 4-for-1 split.  That will automatically apply to all shares held in that account on that date.  
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    Doh!

I reset the portfolio date to the date of the split and it now shows the correct stock split. There had been some shares sold after that date and that was reducing the shares from lot 1.

Thanks to everyone for pitching in things to try.
  • Gail9@
    Gail9@ Member ✭✭
    Similar problem: I only download stock prices using Quicken. I enter all transactions from my paper statement from bank. Am using Quicken Premier 2020 Ver. R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21. Recently discovered Quicken had changed an entry in 2018 and added "from data feed" in the Memo box. Messed up my total cost basis on that stock. Then yesterday I noticed that it had entered an entire entry: "12/18/2020; "StkSplit"; "Vereit Inc."; "New shares 1"; "Old shares 5"; "Memo: from date feed". I did not enter this. Have I accidently change my preferences somewhere. Any ideas?
  • Gail9@
    Gail9@ Member ✭✭
    From my post above, I did try copying and validating the file but did not fix the unwanted entry.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gail9@
    Quicken's price update includes information on stock splits.  Usually, I see a prompt to the effect that "Quicken has detected a stock split not in my records.  Do I want that entered?"  I treat such advisories very carefully.  Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't.

If the entry is truly incorrect, delete it.  from Yahoo finance, I see Vereit did have a 1:5 split on 12/18/20 with the later prices running in the $37 range.  Prior prices in Quicken should be running in $7.50 range.   

• Gail9@
    Gail9@ Member ✭✭
    Many thanks. Can't believe that it took 2 years later to enter the stock split which I entered manually on the original date. Scary.