Move from Mac (Canada) to Windows permanently

Options
kmack
kmack Member
I have the deluxe (canada) 2020 version 5.18.2 running on my Mac.  I need to stop using the Mac and move to a windows laptop.  On the laptop, I’m running quicken deluxe, year 2000, edition Canada version r28.15.
when I export from the Mac using a .qfx file and then import on the windows laptop, my data all gets converted to US dollars.  
Is there a way to resolve this?  Tried the chat with quicken earlier today without luck.  
It is almost like the backup from the Mac was set to US dollars but I don’t see anything in quicken on the Mac that allows a method to change that.
and I tried the import again and 4 or 5 times a window popped up asking me for conversion, so this time I put ‘1’ as a rate.  So values are better but the Home Screen still says US dollars beside the nice pie chart
Thanks!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you have a lot things going against you for this kind of conversion.

First off from what I understand Quicken Mac has "limited multiple currency support".  As in it might not even be flagging accounts for a given currency.  But even if that is happening then there is that information even getting into the QXF file?

I wonder what happens for multiple currencies between two Mac data files using QXF export/import?  Do they come across with the correct currencies?

But even if all that works the import of QXF files into Quicken Windows was originally meant for going from Quicken Mac Essentials (which definitely didn't have multiple currency support) to Quicken Windows.  And it has changed little except to fix bugs since that.  This can be seen in the fact that it won't even import investment transactions because Quicken Mac Essentials did have investment accounts.

And then layer on a problem that Quicken Windows Canadian has always had.  You can't change the "home currency" in it.  In Quicken Windows US you can change the home currency, but that has never made it into Quicken Windows Canadian.

And that home currency is all over the program.  Like in the budgets, and a lot of the "views".  If you could open the data file in Quicken Windows US you could change the home currency and then open it in Quicken Windows Canadian, but unlike Quicken Mac, Quicken Windows US and Quicken Windows Canadian are two different programs (actually Quicken Windows Canadian is a "branch off of" Quicken Windows US) and as such have a different subscription license so you can't just install Quicken Windows US and use it with your Quicken Windows Canadian subscription.

Maybe Quicken Support might be able to help in that regard by doing that part for you.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have another thought.  I believe it was in Quicken Windows US 2012 that they first created the QXF import, and as such it is in Quicken Windows US 2013.  I don't remember what state it was in (as what bugs there were in the import), but there is a free install of this version, so it might be worth a try going through it.

Here is the link to that install:
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

Note that unlike the Canadian version that has multiple currency support always on (and can't be off) the US version has it turned off by default.  (I'm sure they forced it on in the Canadian version since it was coming from the US code, and just to get the Canadian currency they needed it on.)

To change this select:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Calendar and currency

For the import part I would try it with it off and in another data file with it on to see if one is better than the other.  I have a feeling that if you only have one currency in your Mac data file and have multiple currency off in Quicken Windows you should get the right amounts and not be bothered by asking about the exchange rate.

Once the conversion is done will certainly want to turn multiple currency support on and then select Tools -> Currency List

From there select the Canadian Dollar and then the Home button.

Hopefully this will work for you.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. You can't have two versions of Quicken installed on the same machine at the same time. You will have to uninstall your current version to install Quicken 2013.

Also the conversation for the Quicken 2013 data file to Quicken Subscription is performed by just opening the data file in Quicken Subscription.
    Signature:
  • kmack
    kmack Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks Chris, I’ll try the 2013 idea on another computer and see if that works.  Thanks for the help and detail, my appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.