Drag and drop attachments both to Quicken and from Quicken (updated)

Using Q2018 version R75 on Windows 10 PC. 

The Transaction Attachment viewer is laborious to use.  I have the images in my Windows File Explorer.  Drag and drop would be my preference but I cannot find any way to do that.

20 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Transaction attachment viewer is the only way to attach files.

I like the drag and drop idea, though.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for responding.  How do we suggest ideas to Quicken/Intuit?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Hey Denis,

I will turn this post into an Idea post and other users can vote to have this feature added.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Thank you Tyka.  Where should I look to vote on idea posts?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Thank you.  I found it and voted for it.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2019

Thank you.  I found it and voted for it.

Good idea. I voted for it!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Drag and drop would be the simplest solution.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be able to drag & drop attachments out of Quicken and into Windows folders. Could that fit into this Idea, or should it be a different one?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Hello Rocket J Squirrel,

I updated the title to include the ability to drag and drop attachments both into Quicken as well as out of Quicken.

Be sure to add your vote!  :)

-Quicken Natalie

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Thanks. Sadly, the lone current vote is mine.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mshiggins
    +1 from me. 

• Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    And another +1 from me
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited December 2019
    Here's a design question. When dragging an attachment out of Quicken into a Windows Folder, what should the filename be? In the internal Attach folder, subfolders' names are hex numbers like 4445763F. Inside those subfolders, the actual files have generic names such as Invce-E.pdf and Other-E.jpg.
    It would be nice to interpose a user interface to allow the user to specify the Windows filename. The folder would be determined by the destination of the drop.
    I have actually been going through the process of manually copying attachments out of Quicken and into Windows folders because I intend to abandon the idea of attachments in my QDF. I have made year and month folders, and files are prefixed with the date. A typical path might be
    ...\Attachments\2014\Jan\24-Comcast.pdf
    This is a massively tedious process requiring many clicks and dragging windows around (because they obscure exactly what I need to see while doing this) and typing.

• slemay2
    slemay2 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I've been asking for this for almost 3 years now (I've spoken with Intuit Tech Support... I've emailed in when I get requests for ideas for future versions). I'm posting here now, as I just don't get why this simple idea isn't being implemented...

Can we PLEASE get the option to, when trying to attach a receipt, or statement, or invoice to an item in Quicken, the ability to just DRAG the object to the "Transaction Attachments" dialog box?

As almost everything that I want to attach to a transaction inside of Quicken came in via email (either the email itself or a PDF invoice attached to it). I want to just be able to drag it from my email and drop it on the dialog box in Quicken. Instead, I have to save it to my desktop first, then point Quicken at my desktop and select the file. It's many extra clicks.

[Removed-Off Topic/Speculation] So please??? It would make my life must simpler since about 2/3 of all my transactions now get an attachment added to them
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @slemay2

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to drag and drop attachments.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Once Ideas have gained enough traction they are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • slemay2
    slemay2 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [Removed-Argumentative/Unhelpful]
  • monkmanusa
    monkmanusa Member ✭✭
    This is such a fundamental item available in Windows since goodness knows when and yet we cannot use it to attach items to transactions. This would be SO MUCH EASIER - the current process is so laborious I have just about given up (I literally have 100's of scanned receipts to be ready to "drag" - but cannot and doing it one by one through the attachment window is so painful that I give up....come on quicken I am paying a subscription for reason!!
  • fda2f6fc
    fda2f6fc Member ✭✭
    Totally agree. Drag and drop files in and out of Quicken with meaningful file names retained in Quicken for organization. It might be a good idea to use pointers to the original file locations and not store the files in the Quicken data file for faster backup and performance.