Reinstalling Quicken 2015 Home & Business on a Windows 10 new Computer -UNSOLVED

Options
LZech
LZech Member
I have been running successfully Quicken2015 Ver R17.4 on my Windows 7 machine and still do, and may have to continue to do so it appears.

I recently used my original Q2015 installation disc to place the software on my Windows 10 laptop (upon checking after install, it is Q2015 Home & Business Release R 1(24.1.1.11)).

Opening the software, having imported my database and the password resulted in the stop at the request for the Intuit password. [I have as well deleted the software, the data files, the backup files, rebooted and uploaded the software again without a database.]

With both the Quicken Software at this point, opened and completely closed. I tried to apply the WQ2015R17.4M Patch as well as 17.2 and earlier versions from the http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html website and consistently get the same error message "Error: Unable to Check for Updates, the server file failed to load" Details: index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length (As of 01-23-21)

It is not my intent to upgrade to a web-based software to place my financial data at risk in the cloud.

Can anyone Assist? - Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install Quicken 2015 and update to version R17.4 while disconnected from the internet.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

To prevent the registration prompts, I suggest you create a firewall rule to block outbound connections by qw.exe.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @"LZech ,

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. Left-click on MSIClean.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase Folder and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Restart the computer. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Don't download the Installer again if you already have it.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Once you have CCleaner Free installed, run the Cleaner portion first.
    Analyze first and Run Cleaner.
    Click Registry on the Left.
    Scan for Issues.
    Fix selected Issues. Then Run it again because on x64 Bit Installations, it doesn't fix all on the first pass.

Right-click on the Quicken Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

Once Quicken 2015 is installed, do not launch Quicken 2015 when finished, Remove the check to Launch Quicken.

Download QW2015R17.4MPatch from :http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html

Right-click on the Mondo Patch and click Run as administrator to install it.

Open Quicken.2015 and you need to Register the Program Data File. Make sure you select Don't Use Mobile.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • LZech
    LZech Member
    Options
    Thank you both to Sherlock and to thecreator as your suggestions did give me a clean reinstall, the error code at the end of my initial question returned with each of the solutions you posed, as I tried each.

However, after the clean uninstall and reinstall, Greg the Geek, saw the error code in my initial question and "hit the solution". My system was fine with the reinstall, the issue was a Windows 10 issue, in that I needed to set-up a new user account with Admin privileges in Windows 10, BEFORE installing the the R17.4 patch (being offline as suggested would not load the needed files) inside of the New User Account to the existing Quicken 15 install, in my normal user account. Once set-up I just had to load a copy of the back-up database from my Windows 7 laptop, register my Quicken ID, click no on mobile as recommended by the creator, suggestion.

Though, being careful this was an hours solution, I now have my Quicken 15 Home and Office operable on my new Windows 10 machine.

Thank You All!

LZech
This discussion has been closed.