How to update and correct Vanguard migration from Mutual Funds to Brokerage Account

Grandma B
Grandma B Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I use quicken windows subscription. I have Vanguard investments that were converted to their new Brokerage platform in Nov 2020. I set up a new account in quicken for that so would be able to download from Vanguard correctly and all seemed to be fine. However now I see the portfolio value for the previous Vanguard account shows a negative balance. The Holdings report shows zero investments and totals though.
How do I correct that? I can't just change the current price of the investment (I have 3 with Vanguard) because they are the same ones in the new Brokerage platform... The total portfolio value in the new Brokerage platform account in quicken is correct..

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a large negative balance, or just a few cents, which might be caused by a rounding error?

If the negative balance is almost equal to the account value before the transfer, you may have an extra set of transactions that removed the holdings from the old account.

Also please go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. This will reveal any hidden Placeholders that are affecting your balance.

Let us know what you find.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Grandma B
    Grandma B Member ✭✭
    The negative balance is just over $4K so wouldn't think would be rounding off error. The balance shown in the new brokerage account is correct and just over $264K. The box for show hidden transactions is checked and has been. I do not see any placeholders. In the 'holdings' window/report is does show zero value - however it's the securities value and total market value shown on the lower right side when the old investment account is selected from the drop down menu of accounts that shows the negative balance. I don't want it to interfere with any financial statements, etc.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the bottom of the Holdings view (the Account Overview, as displayed when you click on Holdings). Is the Cash line at the bottom negative? If the value of the securities in the account is zero but the total market value is negative, that normally means you have a negative cash balance.

I suggest you look at the Cash line in the holdings view and set the As of date back in time to see when it goes negative, then look at the Transaction list for an incorrect transaction around that date.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Grandma B
    Grandma B Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your continued help. The cash line in Holdings view is and has been zero. I reinvest dividends, etc so there shouldn't be cash. The cash balance in the account overview also shows zero even before and after the closing out of the old vanguard account. I've gone back to before that date and after and cash has remained zero in both places for the old account - as does in the new brokerage account. Only the market value changed in the account view.... but now I see on the left side of the Holdings view under account status that the market value continually shows what it is now - the negative amount no matter what date I set it to...??! So thinking the account status means as of now.... current... I have the same funds that were in the old vanguard account and now the new brokerage account. Could this be reflected somehow? Again thank you for your help. As said the new brokerage account and individual funds are balanced with Vanguard.
This discussion has been closed.