Mutual Fund Category Ranking - how Quicken is different than MF website

Angelo Bione
Angelo Bione Member ✭✭
edited January 2021 in Investing (Windows)
How for each Mutual Fund is this filtered ? For instance if I have a 50% to 70% allocation fund, and I select it for example on the Fidelity site, the numbers I get for 1/3/5 year ranking are different. I thought I would fine this already mentioned in the forum but could not find it.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Angelo Bione
    Angelo Bione Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    For fund VLAAX Quicken shows 79/5/7 for the 1/3/5 year Category Rank. Attached Fidelity shows the Morningstar Rankings as 26/3/6. I was trusting the Fidelity tools where my accounts are. But I went to the Morningstar page directly and just found that Quicken was correct and Fidelity was not. Going to chase that one. Sorry for the confusions.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken uses Morningstar data as reported by its quote provider. Each fund is assigned a category by Morningstar, for example Moderate Allocation, and the ranking is compared to other funds in the same category.

Is Fidelity also reporting Morningstar data?

Sometimes the Quicken data is missing or out of date. If you share the name of the security and the data you see in Quicken, we can compare results.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Angelo Bione
    Angelo Bione Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    For fund VLAAX Quicken shows 79/5/7 for the 1/3/5 year Category Rank. Attached Fidelity shows the Morningstar Rankings as 26/3/6. I was trusting the Fidelity tools where my accounts are. But I went to the Morningstar page directly and just found that Quicken was correct and Fidelity was not. Going to chase that one. Sorry for the confusions.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, @Angelo Bione. I looked at the M* website just now and it says the 26/3/6 data is as of the end of December. Morningstar did not have day end data. The 1-month rank is 89 and the 3-month is 94, so the performance has tanked recently.

Some websites report Morningstar data as of the end of the previous month or quarter, so that might explain the differences you are seeing. 
    QWin Premier subscription