How can I enter the beginning balance of a checking account?

Options
I want to enter the beginning balance of my checking account without calling it a deposit.

Answers

• pgwhale
    pgwhale Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    I have always balanced from paper statement. I have linked to my bank and would like to balance with them. How do I convert?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @MarieBedor

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Are you looking to change the opening balance or change the transaction for the opening balance? If you'd like to change the opening balance transaction you are able to change the amount of it's incorrect and you're also able to rename it from opening balance if you'd prefer it to be under a different payee. You aren't able to remove this transaction or the account will start with a 0 balance if that's what you're wondering as well. 

If I'm still off on my answers please let us know more about what you'd like to do and we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to enter the beginning balance of my checking account without calling it a deposit.
    You can change the text to anything you want...
    BUT it still needs to reflect some kind of "deposit" or "transfer"
    to create a correct running balance

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only entry fields available to you in a register for "dollars" are the "Payment" and "Deposit" column so one of the other of those columns must be used for an opening balance. 
    If the actual issue is that you don't want to use an offsetting Account ("transfer") or an offsetting Category ("income" or "expense") for the opening balance entry you can simply use the same Account with its name in square brackets as the offset, e.g., [Name of Account] and that entry will establish the opening balance without showing up as either a transfer or a Category.
This discussion has been closed.