My pay isn't properly reflected in Budget or Reports

Options
My paycheck is set up to automatically feed various spending and income categories. My gross pay is tied to the category "Salary". However, when reporting or viewing the Budgets section of Planning, it isn't reflected (when the "Actuals Only" drop down is selected). The amount reflected is a "0" that is highlighted in blue. If I click on the zero, it shows a dialog box that correctly has the paycheck amount reflected even though the report says 0. Additionally, it seems to think I've already been paid for the rest of the year. All the months show 0 but I can click on the blue 0 and see the amounts from paychecks I haven't yet received (the taxes show the same way throughout the year but do reflect the amounts, not a 0). Any ideas?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect the reason the budget show you've been paid for the years is because you're including reminders in the budget view: check Budget Actions > View options > Include reminders

I suspect the reason you're seeing 0 actuals is because you've included both the Paycheck and Salary as categories in the budget.  If you're going to include the categories explicitly, I suggest you don't include the Paycheck.
  • Scout_998
    Scout_998 Member
    Options
    Well, you nailed the reason the balance of the year is showing. I removed the check mark from "Include reminders" and it solved that issue. Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion regarding including "both the Paycheck and Salary as categories..." When I set up the paycheck in the Bill and Income Reminders, I tied the gross pay to the category "Salary." I don't have a category called Paycheck. Removing the future elements by unchecking the Include Reminders box has eliminated the recurring items from the dialog box I can call up by clicking on the zero amount in my Actuals. However, there is still no value reflected. The withheld taxes do show in the actual amounts.

Appreciate the help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Scout_998 said:
    Well, you nailed the reason the balance of the year is showing. I removed the check mark from "Include reminders" and it solved that issue. Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion regarding including "both the Paycheck and Salary as categories..." When I set up the paycheck in the Bill and Income Reminders, I tied the gross pay to the category "Salary." I don't have a category called Paycheck. Removing the future elements by unchecking the Include Reminders box has eliminated the recurring items from the dialog box I can call up by clicking on the zero amount in my Actuals. However, there is still no value reflected. The withheld taxes do show in the actual amounts.

Appreciate the help!
    When we create create a Paycheck Income reminder using the Paycheck wizard, we're able select the Paycheck as a category in the budget:

When selected, the Paycheck is included as income on a group name Paychecks:

When we also include categories that are components of the Paycheck in the budget, Quicken gets confused attempting to remove appropriate amount accounted for in the  Paycheck.

If you're not including the Paycheck in the budget, the zero actual amount is something else.  Perhaps, there is an issue with the actual Paycheck transaction or the budget.  To determine if we're on the right track, first, save a backup (press Ctrl + B) you'll be able to fall back on if necessary.  Then, I suggest you create a new temporary test budget with just Salary included to see if the issue is budget specific.  If the problem persists, try entering the paycheck in a new temporary offline test account and only include the test account in the budget.  If the issue persists, try creating a new Paycheck income reminder using the Paycheck wizard, entering the paycheck in a new temporary offline test account, and only include the test account in the budget. 
  • Scout_998
    Scout_998 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try this over the weekend. The "Select Categories to Budget" window you provided is different than the one I see in my system. I don't have a Paychecks option to budget the category. Also, I did a zero based budget to create the 2021 budget, thus not using 2020 or other data in the system. I manually added each line item, including Salaries, withholding taxes, 401(k), etc... I'll back-up and try the suggestions this weekend!
  • Scout_998
    Scout_998 Member
    Options
    OK, I backed up then created a new budget with Salary only. I then created a new Temporary Test Checking account and entered a pay transaction tied to the category Salary. The budget report does not reflect any actual amounts.

I then deleted the manual transaction and went through the Paycheck Wizard and set up a Bill and Income Reminder for Income for $10,000 tied to the temporary offline account and referencing pay to the Salary category. I entered the paycheck from the Bill and Income Reminder list. The $10,000 amount showed in the temporary account, tied to Salary. However, when I go to Planning and Budgets, the temporary budget shows 0 in the actual amount. If I click on the blue 0 for January, it shows $10,000 from the paycheck in the pop up window. This seems to be working the same way as my real account and paycheck.

Any additional thoughts? I can delete the current Reminder and start over with my paycheck and see if that helps, but given that the test Reminder I just entered, it seems like that may not work. I'm thinking something is odd about the Salary category and maybe I should create a new category for income and see if that works?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scout_998 said:
    OK, I backed up then created a new budget with Salary only. I then created a new Temporary Test Checking account and entered a pay transaction tied to the category Salary. The budget report does not reflect any actual amounts.

I then deleted the manual transaction and went through the Paycheck Wizard and set up a Bill and Income Reminder for Income for $10,000 tied to the temporary offline account and referencing pay to the Salary category. I entered the paycheck from the Bill and Income Reminder list. The $10,000 amount showed in the temporary account, tied to Salary. However, when I go to Planning and Budgets, the temporary budget shows 0 in the actual amount. If I click on the blue 0 for January, it shows $10,000 from the paycheck in the pop up window. This seems to be working the same way as my real account and paycheck.

Any additional thoughts? I can delete the current Reminder and start over with my paycheck and see if that helps, but given that the test Reminder I just entered, it seems like that may not work. I'm thinking something is odd about the Salary category and maybe I should create a new category for income and see if that works?
    As you proceeded to create the new temporary checking account, I will assume the issue reproduced in the new budget view.  So, the issue is not budget specific.

I will also assume when you say The budget report does not reflect any actual amounts, you were referring to the new budget view with only the new account and the Salary category, and the amount was 0.  So, the issue is also not account specific.

And, as the original symptom also appears to reproduce in the new budget with only the new account and the Salary category using a new Paycheck reminder and transaction, the issue is pointing at the Salary category.

To confirm the issue is Quicken file specific, I suggest you create temporary test Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...), create the offline account, the paycheck reminder, enter the paycheck, and create the budget with only Salary.

This discussion has been closed.