Quicken Update Workaround

Bill_R
Bill_R Member
Running Windows 10 fully updated. When prompted to update Quicken, I am shuttled to a window to "close processes". However, several of these processes keep relaunching when closed preventing the update from completing. The offending processes are CarboniteUI and one or two Adobe. Lately, another process that refused to close and stay closed is fshoster32 and 64.exe. In the past, my workaround has been to use task manager to repeatedly close these processes. Eventually, it seems that enough of the update sneaks through to complete. No longer. Quicken chat was no help at all. They suggested I contact Carbonite and Adobe for help.

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Bill_R, As you eloquently said 'the offending processes', I doubt Quicken is the issue here.  Have you tried updating Quicken using the Mondo patch approach?  Here are the details:
    NOTE: Often it is recommended to temporarily disable Antivirus software when installing a known program from a trusted source such as Quicken.
    Added: I used to use F-Secure (fshoster) and Carbonite and had no issues with Quicken update, but I no longer use them due to their high CPU demand.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Bill_R
    Bill_R Member
    Hi BK, Thanks for your prompt reply. The link you provided just took me to the general Quicken Community page. However, I googled "Mondo Patch" and found the update link quickly. I tried it, but ran into the same exact issue - getting stalled by open/running processes. I'm going to explore this option more completely this weekend when I have more time. Your comments make me think that the problem is indeed on my end. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bill_R, yeah something does not seem right on your system given that even the link won't take you to the proper Mondo patch location (some caching issue is my guess at minimum). Once a year or so I reinstall or reset my Windows operating system which clears up many strange behaviors and improves performance - something to consider given that it is much easier to do so now with Win10.  It may save you time in the long run.  Good luck.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would be inclined to uninstall both Adobe and CarboniteUI and see if that makes it work.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.