Import CSV, not importing categories, ALL added as income

Options
I am moving from another program (Jumsoft Money) that only exports in CSV. When importing to Quicken, all amounts are imported as income (positive), even though they are negative in the CSV file. Additionally, the category shows as "income" or "expense", not the category in the file.

I have 5 years data!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken Mac doesn't generally support importing from CSV files, with a very narrow exception that they built for people moving from Mint.com.

To successfully import, you would likely need to massage your data to get the CSV file to exactly match Mint's export. Or, since Mint is free, you might find you cold import your existing data into Mint, and then export from Mint to import into Quicken. Here's a previous thread on a similar topic you might find useful to read through.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LambdaEnt
    LambdaEnt Member ✭✭
    Options
    I signed up for Mint just to be able to do an export and see what it wants.

Quicken doesn't read the headers, even though it ignores them — it just assumes the column order.

It also reads all amounts, negative or positive, as credits unless a following column specifies debit or credit. That's just asinine.

So, yes, I "massaged" the data and am getting it imported.

Intuit constantly markets to get people to use their software, yet provides NO ability to import from competitors, just their own. Great marketing — not!

Since I've done the work, here's the column order for anyone else who needs to do this. All columns, even if blank, are necessary.

Here's a calculation to create the Transaction Type column:
    =IF(D2>0,"credit","debit")

Date Description Original Description Amount Transaction Type Category Account Name Labels Notes
  • LambdaEnt
    LambdaEnt Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs Thank you for guiding the way to make this work. But also note, there is no way to import transactions into Mint.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    So you're lambasting Quicken for not providing a way to import data from other applications… and then just mention in passing that Mint has no way to import data from other applications.  :D

By the way, Mint is owned by Intuit. Quicken is not. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LambdaEnt
    LambdaEnt Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so they both don't. I forgot they are not owned by the same company. I'm not sure why that changes anything — they are both at fault. Anyway, thanks for helping me figure it out. Hopefully, our conversation will help someone else. Good night.
This discussion has been closed.