How do I merge two duplicate mutual funds that appear in the Comparative Portfolio?

Roy Rhino
Roy Rhino Member ✭✭
See what I mean below and to add to the issue each month when I get an update from Fidelity Quicken is identifying the Short Duration fund as Strategic Global Income instead of Strategic Short Duration Fund. I also noticed that neither one of these have CUSIP IDs for some reason.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "Fidelity did some mergers and name changes to some funds and Quicken did not pick those up, I gues?"
    Quicken might not pick up on these sorts of transactions as what Quicken "knows" about what's going on at your financial institutions is entirely dependent on what the financial institution downloads to Quicken, and how you've set up things on your end.  If the financial institution doesn't code some transaction or transactions properly or doesn't send them to Quicken at all, that's usually where you have to jump in and fix things. 
    "Fidelity SAI Long Term Treasury Bond Fund shows up in the comparison, but not on the security list to edit?"
    Based on your screen shot it appears that you must have owned this fund at some point, or at least thought you did, since Quicken in now showing a negative number of shares of the fund.  You might want to run an Investing > Investment Transactions report on this one fund in that Fidelity Account and see if you can figure out what's causing that difference, and fix it.  If Fidelity is correct here that you own no shares of this fund and you can't figure out what transaction or transactions are the source of the error, then an "Add" of 1.458 shares of this fund should eliminate the discrepancy.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    each month when I get an update from Fidelity Quicken is identifying the Short Duration fund as Strategic Global Income instead of Strategic Short Duration Fund.
    In Quicken, go to your Security List (Ctrl-Y).  Edit the Strategic Global income Fund and UNCHECK the box for "Matched with online security".  You currently have it matched wrong.  You can then go through Tools / Online Center to redo the portfolio comparison.

You may need to do the same with your "Strategic Advisers Short Duration Fund" to get it properly matched to the Fidelity version.    

Note that such a fix will not alter prior existing records in your Quicken transaction list.  If there are errors there, you need to fix them manually.

Neither of those represent a "merge" of identical funds within Quicken.

• Roy Rhino
    Roy Rhino Member ✭✭
    Thanks, that worked, but I had to put a place holder for another one as the name of the security changed at Fidelity and Quicken does not recognise the new fund name? Fidelity did some mergers and name changes to some funds and Quicken did not pick those up, I gues? Fidelity SAI Long Term Treasury Bond Fund shows up in the comparison, but not on the security list to edit?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "Fidelity did some mergers and name changes to some funds and Quicken did not pick those up, I gues?"
    Quicken might not pick up on these sorts of transactions as what Quicken "knows" about what's going on at your financial institutions is entirely dependent on what the financial institution downloads to Quicken, and how you've set up things on your end.  If the financial institution doesn't code some transaction or transactions properly or doesn't send them to Quicken at all, that's usually where you have to jump in and fix things. 
    "Fidelity SAI Long Term Treasury Bond Fund shows up in the comparison, but not on the security list to edit?"
    Based on your screen shot it appears that you must have owned this fund at some point, or at least thought you did, since Quicken in now showing a negative number of shares of the fund.  You might want to run an Investing > Investment Transactions report on this one fund in that Fidelity Account and see if you can figure out what's causing that difference, and fix it.  If Fidelity is correct here that you own no shares of this fund and you can't figure out what transaction or transactions are the source of the error, then an "Add" of 1.458 shares of this fund should eliminate the discrepancy.
  • Roy Rhino
    Roy Rhino Member ✭✭
    I have fixed all the errors by just removing some shares or adding them to the funds. They are all in agreement now.
This discussion has been closed.