Has anyone been able to connect a John Hancock 401k?

I'm not trying to connect jhinvestments website, but myplan instead.

Thank you in advance

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jslayton - How Quicken actually connects with a financial institution is often different from how we connect with Quicken.  So it is possible that you currently access your 401K account via one John Hancock url and Quicken might access it via a different url.
    There is only one John Hancock setup link in the fidir file that I could find and it does say it is for 401K but it also says the connection method available is Web Connect.  Web Connect is manual download in QFX (or "Quicken" or "Quickbooks") format.
    In order for Quicken to download investment accounts data from the financial institution website the connection method needs to be Direct Connect and it does not appear this connection method is available for John Hancock.
    I suggest you log into your online account and try to download your account transactions from there in QFX format and then import it into Quicken. 
    If you are successful doing this, then you can go to the Online Services tab of Account Details where the connection method will show Web Connect.  If Direct Connect is available, there will be a message and link saying that an improved connection method is available.  Click on that link and follow the prompts to set up Direct Connect.
    If none of this works for you, then I suggest you contact John Hancock and ask them to confirm that your specific 401K plan allows for download into Quicken and, if it does, ask for guidance on how to do that.  (Note:  Not all 401K plans permit downloads into Quicken even when the financial institution says downloads into Quicken are possible.  It's a contractual thing between the 401K plan administrator and the financial institution.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting..... Trying to Add Account - there is a Hancock - but no MyPlan entry
    Here is the Hancock info -
    and it DOES list 401k as a valid entry - in fact the only entry...
    09847    09847    09847    John Hancock Financial Services    https://www.jhinvestments.com/AccountAccess.aspx    1-800-695-7389    https://www.secureaccountview.com/BFWeb/clients/jhinvestments/index    ACTIVE        
    401K&WEB-CONNECT        
    401K&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Just looked at the Quicken info for Hancock - and it appears to support the 401k.
    Have you tried the - Add Account - for Hancock, and entering your info ?
    What happened ?
    For MyPlan - only found .. Heintzberger Payne and Company -
    Why do you mention that company - does it appear on your JH statement ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jslayton
    jslayton Member
    myplan.johnhandcock.com

It just acts like I don't have an account, but I notice when I try to add it that it references jhinvestments.com.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @jslayton - How Quicken actually connects with a financial institution is often different from how we connect with Quicken.  So it is possible that you currently access your 401K account via one John Hancock url and Quicken might access it via a different url.
    There is only one John Hancock setup link in the fidir file that I could find and it does say it is for 401K but it also says the connection method available is Web Connect.  Web Connect is manual download in QFX (or "Quicken" or "Quickbooks") format.
    In order for Quicken to download investment accounts data from the financial institution website the connection method needs to be Direct Connect and it does not appear this connection method is available for John Hancock.
    I suggest you log into your online account and try to download your account transactions from there in QFX format and then import it into Quicken. 
    If you are successful doing this, then you can go to the Online Services tab of Account Details where the connection method will show Web Connect.  If Direct Connect is available, there will be a message and link saying that an improved connection method is available.  Click on that link and follow the prompts to set up Direct Connect.
    If none of this works for you, then I suggest you contact John Hancock and ask them to confirm that your specific 401K plan allows for download into Quicken and, if it does, ask for guidance on how to do that.  (Note:  Not all 401K plans permit downloads into Quicken even when the financial institution says downloads into Quicken are possible.  It's a contractual thing between the 401K plan administrator and the financial institution.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.