Credit Card reconcile won't balance

K Walsh
K Walsh Member ✭✭
This was working a few days ago and now is not. I am 100% positive my numbers are all correct, but Quicken is confused.
Previous balance: 102.91
Payments: 102.93
Charges: 178.61
New balance: 178.59

Quicken reconcile
cleared charges: 178.61
statement ending balance: 178.59
difference: 0.02

That is all correct, but I do not need an adjustment applied and it won't let me finish without one.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    K Walsh said:
    Thanks, but there is no "opening balance" for a Credit Card.
    The reconciled opening balance is the total of all of the transactions in the register marked as reconciled and should be the Previous Balance.  I suspect the reconciled opening balance was $102.93 but is now $102.91, a difference of $0.02. 

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • K Walsh
    K Walsh Member ✭✭
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    K Walsh said:
    The reconciled opening balance is the total of all of the transactions in the register marked as reconciled and should be the Previous Balance.  I suspect the reconciled opening balance was $102.93 but is now $102.91, a difference of $0.02. 
  • gatorwoman71
    gatorwoman71 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem where my opening balance has changed since my last reconcile. The statement balanced on 1/17, which was the last time I worked in Quicken, and today it shows my opening balance for the current statement as being WAY more than the ending balance of my last statement. I have not deleted or modified any reconciled line items today, so there is no accounting for such a big discrepancy.

I swear Quicken has a bug in it. I have created a new checking account register so I can start fresh and it will be much easier to see if something is out of whack.
  • K Walsh
    K Walsh Member ✭✭
    I took a closer look at my statement; there is a 0.02 interest credit (I disputed a charge).
This discussion has been closed.