Securities balance seems to decrease for no apparent reason in an account

Options
I have an account where my holdings in the holdings view are different from the securities and market value that I see at the bottom of my account register. My holdings view is right. I have been trying to debug it and finally I found a discrepancy.

The discrepancy seems to be that about 6 months ago, I see that my securities balance suddenly decrease for no apparent reason as shown in the picture.

Does anyone have any idea as to why that would suddenly decrease and how do I go about fixing it?

I am attaching the two pictures.

Quicken 2020 Quicken Deluxe R31.8
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-Bit Build 19042.685

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A Hidden transaction, also known as a Placeholder, is created when the quantity of shares reported from the brokerage differs from the quantity recorded in Q.
    This frequently happens when you're first setting up the account and don't input ALL transactions that resulted in the current quantity at the brokerage.
    To view Hidden transactions, do EDIT, Preferences, Investment Transactions and CHECK "Show Hidden Transctions".
    BTW, if you can't find that transaction,  how did you capture your Quicken3 graphic, which shows the transaction???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• moodybaaz
    moodybaaz Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I search for transactions with that security, I find a suspicious transaction that shows a bunch of shares of that security deleted (see attached picture). However, I cannot find that transaction in the register view and hence I cannot edit/delete/void that transaction.

Does anyone know how I can actually edit or fix that transaction? That "hidden transaction" seems to be the one causing the above discrepancy.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A Hidden transaction, also known as a Placeholder, is created when the quantity of shares reported from the brokerage differs from the quantity recorded in Q.
    This frequently happens when you're first setting up the account and don't input ALL transactions that resulted in the current quantity at the brokerage.
    To view Hidden transactions, do EDIT, Preferences, Investment Transactions and CHECK "Show Hidden Transctions".
    BTW, if you can't find that transaction,  how did you capture your Quicken3 graphic, which shows the transaction???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• moodybaaz
    moodybaaz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. Once I showed the hidden transactions, I could find the errant placeholder and delete it. That fixed my account.

> BTW, if you can't find that transaction, how did you capture your Quicken3 graphic, which shows the transaction???

I clicked on "find" and looked for all transactions related to the security. This shows the "hidden" transaction but does not let me edit/delete it.

Thanks!