Windows 7 potential major issue

DaisyDoo
DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
I have had to reinstall my entire Win 7 system due to needing a new motherboard. Yes, there are many of us still clinging to the past. To reinstall quicken, I downloaded the latest install file from the quicken site. While it did install, it went into an endless loop of asking for my account credentials and then showing a window that provided two option, either download the latest version (odd since I was running the latest version) or enter a new software key (not required as I am on an active subscription.

After a couple hours with quicken support, it was determined that the release of version 31.x is potentially not compatible with Windows 7. Officially, quicken has not supported Win 7 for quite a while so we die-hard's have probably been pushing our luck for a while.

I, fortunately, still have my old win 7 system running and can use that and am very sure to not allow any updates to occur without knowing what the effect will be. I am also setting up my new system to be dual boot so I will have a Win 10 install working in the near future.

I am simply posting this as a possible warning to current Win 7 users.

I am also still playing with trying to get a pre-version 31.x installed on this new Win 7 system using an earlier install and application of some earlier mondo patches. There is an unofficial site that has available all of the previous mondo patches that can be searched for but I can not vouch for this site as this is the first time I have attempted it. Since quicken is currently not working, it can't make it not work any worse so I am going to experiment.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DaisyDoo said:
    There is an unofficial site that has available all of the previous mondo patches that can be searched for but I can not vouch for this site as this is the first time I have attempted it.
    I believe that you are referring to:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

I can vouch for the site because it in fact my site, which I keep up as a service to the Quicken community, and is referenced on this site by everyone, including Quicken employees.

But lately it seems that Quicken is also making the past Quicken Subscription patches available for the case of "trying" to reinstall if the person has a subscription that has lapsed.  See this thread about that:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20149891/#Comment_20149891
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    I made another post about potential issues with installing the newest version on Windows 7 though it is a theory only at this point as I have seen no other comments to confirm or deny.

To that end, I am still trying to install quicken on a fresh Win 7 system (had to update motherboard and old system drive wouldn't boot on new system). This is long but I am trying to be detailed.

I initially downloaded the most recent version since I have an active subscription and it installed fine but when opening the first time, it of course asked for my credentials, then a 6 digit code and then returned to another logon screen and then a screen that confirmed my subscription status and presented two options, either download and install Quicken or provide a new software key. Considering that I was already inside Quicken and my subscription was confirmed, this should not have happened. Regardless of how often I tried entering my credentials, it returned to the same screen.

I contacted support and a couple hours later it was theorized that the newest version would not run on Win 7, thus my previous post about potential issues. Since then I have been trying a multitude of things.

I uninstalled and re-installed from a vers 2018 disk that I have. Same result. I tried installing a mondo patch from August 2020. This was a known working version on my previous system. Same result. More trials, more of the same result.

Then, I deleted all Quicken files from Program Files and Program Data and copied them over from my old system. I thought I might have been successful as Quicken then opened and I was able to connect to a copy of my data file (trying to be safe). However, it would not connect online for an OSU. Research revealed I should try and log out and log back in.

I did this and then, right back to the screen loop.

I am eventually going to install on a Win 10 system (new system is dual boot, 7 & 10, which is why a new motherboard was needed). In the meantime, I can still boot my old system and Quicken still runs though I did get a scare this morning when I had to logoff and back on but it did not go into the screen loop like the new system is continually doing.

I am about out of alternate ideas so though I might throw it out here to see if anyone has an alternate thought.

Is there anyone else that is running into the continual loop of the logon and subscription confirmation screens ? I attached screen shots of the two windows.

The weird part is that it does open the desired data file as it fills the screen before this logon and then the option screen covers everything and it won't stop looping through those two screens.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well the problem you are facing now is a subscription/licensing problem, not an actual Quicken (the program) compatibility problem.

The big problem here is that basically how all of this works is totally hidden from the users, and as such other than the "classic" log off and back on, no one can really tell how to troubleshoot such a problem.  And whereas support "might" be able to find the problem, the very fact that you are talking about a non supported operating system, they are going to stop right there.

About the only thing I can suggest is turning off any anti-virus software/firewall, which might be blocking the communications of Quicken with the Quicken servers.
    Signature:
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Yea, I understand it's no longer supported, am just hoping that perhaps someone has a sly trick up their sleeve that I might try. I don't think it is an issue with server connectivity since the first time I enter my credentials, it does confirm my subscription so it has to get that from their server.

Was hoping this would get a little more visibility but apparently a moderator decided this post needed to be moved as a comment under my original win 7 post so doubt many people are going to see it anyway.

Quicken doesn't make much use of the Registry so there are no real settings there that I could play with and all the files are located under Program Files and Program Data so not sure where else to look.

I do think I may try something which is to open on my old system and physically log out before trying to open a fresh copy over on the new system. Hmmmm.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    Did you check Control Panel Internet Options Advanced tab to make sure all the TLS protocols are enabled?   I seem to recall they are not defaults in Win 7 so a new install may require them to be enabled; the old SSLs won't work on secure sites anymore.

adding- I'm assuming you were able to update your new install to the same security update status as your working machine?
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    >
    > adding- I'm assuming you were able to update your new install to the same security update status as your working machine?

TLS protocols are indeed enabled.

Not sure what you mean by "security update status". If you mean the operating system security updates, then yes. I used NTLite to apply all the pertinent OS patches and security updates. Gonna verify that but it seemed to all be there.
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Just a brief followup. I did a trial install on my experimental Win 10 system and Quicken installed with no problems and ran. I used the most recently available install file. So it appears that there is an issue with some aspect of my new Win 7 system that is not allowing the logon to be successful. The odd part is that I can log out of my subscription account and go back later and log back in and it works fine. May try some further experimenting if time permits.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Similar problems have been reported when people are using VMWare (on a Mac) and even using Windows 10.  The main problem here is that they don't tell the users how any of this gets checked and as such there isn't any way for us to really debug what is going wrong.
    Signature:
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Similar problems have been reported when people are using VMWare (on a Mac) and even using Windows 10......

Interesting. Has anyone documented what the fix or workaround was for the Win 10 problems ?? It might provide a clue as to what my Win 7 issue is.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No we couldn't figure out any solution for this problem on VMWare.  Without knowing how this all works it near impossible to try to troubleshoot it.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.