New R31.6 release.. issues ... Read the ALERT

Chris Glenn
Chris Glenn Member ✭✭
Anyone else having install issues with R31.6?

I have three systems with Quicken installed, two of them ended up with the update failing and the Quicken install corrupted. The third updated okay.

For the two corrupted, I had to uninstall then reinstall Quicken to get it to work.

Answers

• Chris Glenn
    Chris Glenn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I was getting a similar error to that discussion, but mine occurred when opening Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was getting a similar error to that discussion, but mine occurred when opening Quicken.
    I suggest that you do what the first comment in that announcement suggests, and use the QCleanUI procedure to get a good uninstall and then reinstall Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris Glenn
    Chris Glenn Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I suggest that you do what the first comment in that announcement suggests, and use the QCleanUI procedure to get a good uninstall and then reinstall Quicken.

I noted in my initial event - that I uninstalled/installed Quicken to resolve the issue on the two corrupted PCs.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, many threads for the R31.6 install problem and I missed the details in this case.
    Signature:
  • jeff22
    jeff22 Member ✭✭
    R31.6 update installed today and now I have a problem launching Quicken from a .QDF click. msinstaller is launched but fails on a missing file in a temp directory. Otherwise, app works fine when launched from a shortcut. Runs the last data file from the MRU list and works fine from File...Open, but the default file association has apparently been corrupted. If Uninstall/Reinstall will fix this, I'll try that. Is it a known problem?
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @richardsjc Experienced exactly the same problem. I reinstalled - got the last update. It seems to be working. On a second system - the update is not being offered. Doing a reinstall on the second system.
    Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    richardsjc said:  Is it a known problem?
    read the top of this thread - an ALERT has been posted

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, We are trying to debug this issue. It would help if some one can get on a call with our engineering team. We are looking for someone who is currently facing the issue in R31.6. Please let us know if you can work with us. Thanks.
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed-Rant/Unhelpful]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I should know better and keep my mouth shut - but don't you have a Q/A team? Load up a prior release and then apply the update. Don't have access to a prior version? Do a System RESTORE. You do them before applying Quicken updates - don't you? Quicken Backups and System Restore Points are SOP here. You should really add that to your documentation.
    Just for the record, I got the R31.6 install and it installed and worked fine for me.  Whatever problem is causing the install to abort/not work right, isn't a 100% and as such can be missed in testing on a limited amount of machines.
    Signature:
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    Good point. Quicken did not like my comment which they thought was ... Treat others with respect, and empathy – don’t be rude or sarcastic.... rather than constructive criticism. I am sorry if I offended anybody.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"Chris_QPW , and All,

I would ask that Quicken lose Stage Releases and Release the Patches to everyone at one time. Not everyone is running Quicken from the exact location on all computers. Users have Quicken installed normally and others have Quicken installed employing programs such as One Drive, Have Active Anti-virus scanning occurring during installation.

On some installations, I'm at R30.21 and some at R30.5. None at detecting the latest patch.

Opinions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Chris_QPW , and All,

I would ask that Quicken lose Stage Releases and Release the Patches to everyone at one time. 

Opinions?
    Well here are the facts as I see them.
    1. Betas don't capture all of the possible failures because of limited number of people and because the the beta testers tend to represent "Long time/Experienced users" that have long since adopted methods to avoid problems that the average Quicken user will walk into.
    2. Not everything is run through betas.  I guess this in an effort to speed things up, and also because they might feel that the set changes are "worth a beta effort".
    3. So it is known fact no matter what when they release there will be people with problems.  The idea of the stage release is to limit it to as few as people as possible, but still capture a broad enough user base to make sure there aren't any major problems before releasing to everyone and having to do even more recovery actions from the problems.
    In my opinion staged releases are the right thing to do, BUT installing them without making it clear that they are in fact installing a staged release or even worse installing it without even asking (automatic installs at startup) is just plain wrong.
    Signature:
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    For Windows 10 users - the best practice is to Create a Restore Point prior to doing a Quicken update. There is absolutely no downside to doing that. And it will probably make the problem reproducible if you are so inclined to submit detailed information to the Quicken support staff.

I run Quicken on Windows 10 Version 20H2 - on my development system. As such it has multiple versions of .Net (Core) installed. It can be a challenge releasing software to work correctly in my playground - which I believe is representative of many other users. So I am not be too quick to point fingers at anyone. That's why System Restore is my best friend.

I would also encourage Quicken to add the ability to attach other files (in addition to Include a Screenshot) - when a problem (Report a Problem) is sumitted from the Help menu.

Being a belt and suspenders person, I wrote a Powerbuilder script that prior to invoking Quicken copies my data (QDF) file from a repository to the local document folder. When I am satisfied with my session - I do a Quicken backup and then exit Quicken. At that point my script continues and I have the option of moving the local QDF file into my repository. (Yes, the prior QDF file is saved as well.) This may seem like over kill but if you have been using Quicken since it's inception - you have a lot of years worth of data and TIME invested. I protect my personal data just as I protect the integrity of the corporate data I am responsible for when I am on the job.

Stay well,
    Fred J.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree about beta testing deficiencies, it seems (as was my fear all along) that the subscription model has gradually evolved into less quality control before issuing a release update because there is a testing audience that are basically forced to eventually test updates. I don't mind and understand the revenue need for the subscription model, but I am concerned that it can lead to quality control issues. Thankfully the suggestion of changing the UAC controls in windows gives back some control.  I wish Quicken, like many other vendors who supply software updates for their products, would note stable release versions.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• jeff22
    jeff22 Member ✭✭
    @FredArthur et. al. - My original post re R31.6 was about a narrow problem where a double-click on a .QDF would launch MSInstaller which would fail on a missing file. I was able to launch Quicken from a shortcut and pick files from the MRU list, so I had a work-around. I elected not to re-install and see if a subsequent update would correct this problem. Surprise! It did. The problem "fixed itself" a few days after the R31.6 update. I'm at R31.8 now and all is well. I probably could have been more rigorous in reporting and helpful in the diagnosis, but all's well that ends well. Congrats Engineering Team.
  • FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Oops - Just tried to install R31.12 [as an upgrade to R31.8] using the Mondo Patch and got this error.
    Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load.
    Could not parse the URL "Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops - Just tried to install R31.12 [as an upgrade to R31.8] using the Mondo Patch and got this error.
    Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load.
    Could not parse the URL "Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.
    Hi @FredArthur

Your Windows User ID that currently has Administrator Rights, has become corrupted.

Reformat and reinstall Windows or create a Brand New Windows User ID with Administrator Rights.

Or Open Quicken. Click Help. Either Click Check for Updates or Download Latest Version.

See if the last choice works first. Don't use Mondo Patches. Update through Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.