Running Capital gain/loss report for custom date range

I am running Quicken 2016 for MAC. For my brokerage account, I can only see "Year to Date" and 2020 as the date range options.
If I want to run reports for diff date range, how do I do that?

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds like you are in the Investment Portfolio view.

I suggest you look at the Tax Schedule report. You can customize the date range to your liking there. You should see the Capital Gains there. 

Note you can view by category/tax schedule.
  • S2R2
    S2R2 Member
    Thanks for your comments John.
    Tax Schedule report does not include Retirement accounts. It includes only regular brokerage account. I wanted to run reports on my retirement accounts for custom date range.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can do a standard Summary or Transaction report for Capital Gains in Retirement accounts. Oh, wait Quicken 2016 uses the old reports engine, but it will still work... to some extent.
    • In the Reports section of your left sidebar, select Category Summary
    • Click Customize
    • Set the date filter to Last Year
    • In the Accounts tab, click Select None; then scroll down and click on Retirement under Investing
    • Click on the Categories tab
    • Click Select None.
    • Scroll down to Investments and select all the categories related to Capital Gains
    The report will show your Short- and Long-Term Capital Gains, and Short- and Long-Term Reinvested Capital Gains. (If you're not seeing the detail, on the right side, click on the "Update view to show me" and select "Details for all Categories".)

But what the report won't show is Realized Gain/Loss. That's because this is a calculation based on your Sale transactions; it's not an actual transaction in your register which has that Category.

As a result, the only place to see Realized Gain/Loss is in the Portfolio view, when you set it to show 2020. In Quicken 2016, there is no way to print the portfolio. The only way to print it is to highlight all the text beneath the graph, Copy, open Excel or Numbers, and Paste the copied portfolio data. It's crude, and will require a little clean-up -- but it works! (This is an area of the program that has been improved quite a bit over the past four years; the current Quicken Mac can print and export from the portfolio screen )

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • S2R2
    S2R2 Member
    Did not work. I will try to call Quicken and ask them to fix this or give an upgrade!
  • jacobs
    edited February 2021
    @S2R2  You didn't explain which part didn't work. The report or the copying and pasting the portfolio? I tested exactly the steps I posted above on my own Quicken 2016 file, and it worked for me. If you post back what part you're having trouble with, maybe we can help.

As for an upgrade, well, there is one available: the current Quicken Mac. But they won't give it to you; you'd have to pay for it if you want it. ;)

EDITING to add: since Quicken 2016 is software which is no longer supported, you may not get much help from Quicken Support except suggesting you upgrade. 
  • S2R2
    S2R2 Member
    I selected my retirement account in "Accounts" and selected start/end dates for the reports.

In the "Category", I selected Short Term, Long Term, Money In, Money Out; Shows Money In, in the summary report.
    The report did not show any Short term/Long Term Gain/Loss.
    Only thing it picked up was, "Money In".
  • jacobs
    S2R2 said:
    In the "Category", I selected Short Term, Long Term, Money In, Money Out; Shows Money In, in the summary report.
    I'm confused: those aren't investment category names. When you select categories, you should see a list like this under Investments:

There's no "Money In" or "Money Out" categories to select. For capital gains, you'd want to check the ones I checked here. (Although as I explained above, this report won't show Realized Gain/Loss because in most cases that's a calculation by Quicken, not the category of an actual transaction).
This discussion has been closed.