Balance Inaccurate when Filtering to "This Year"

When I move from "all dates" to "this year" filtering in the register, my account balances change to an outrageous balance (e.g, Five figures to Six) How do i fix this?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The balance should be correct if the register is still sorted by Date and if there are no other filters invoked. If the Status or Type filter is invoked, that makes the balance undefined because there will be transactions missing from the display. Similarly, if the register is not sorted by Date, the running balance is undefined. In these situations, you will notice that the entries in the Balance column become gray and italicized. 

When the register is sorted by date, you'll see a little up or down V in the column header. If that V is on some other column, then the register isn't sorted by Date. Click the Date column header to restore the sort order to By Date.

If your register is sorted by Date with no other filters invoked and the balance still isn't correct, perhaps you can post a screenshot to see if something else is going on. If you do, please post with and without the Date filter invoked and include the filters, column headers and top lines of the register in the screenshots.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Meld
    Meld Member
    Thanks Rick, I checked everything that you suggested with no difference in outcome. I still get a wacko balance when I turn on "this year" All date sorts, no other filters invoked.... weird bug.....
  • Meld
    Meld Member
    Bug showed up after upgrading MacOS from Catalina to Big Sur 11.1
  • Meld
    Meld Member
    This is a couple of screen shots of what I am seeing.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It is indeed strange. You have a bunch of transactions that after the $59.57 one that appear to be in this year but disappear with the filter invoked. The only thing I can think of is to check the actual dates and make sure they are in the correct century. If they were somehow recorded as 1/30/2121, they would appear in the reg as they do but not in this year filter.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Meld
    Meld Member
    Thanks Rick, the disappearance was a function of how I took the screen shot and where my cursor was positioned. All are 2021, and it also happens when I filter to "last Quarter and Last month" Its a bug in the program. Been using quicken for decades now.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Meld  I'd say it's not clear where the problem lies right now. What you show happening does not happen for me or Rick or others; I haven't seen other people reporting this problem.  So there's something unique about your configuration or your data causing this to happen to you, and we haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

One question: if you open your Mac System Preferences and go to Language and Region, are you set to United States. And if you click on Advanced > Dates, does the screen look like this:

It's a long shot, but I'm just wondering if there's something in your Mac's date settings which could be affecting Quicken or the data you're importing from your financial institutions. 

You can use the Help > Report a Problem feature of Quicken Mac, sending your description and screen shots; you'd need to allow it to include a sanitized data file (copy of your data file stripped of all identifiable accounts, financial institutions, etc.), because they'll likely need that to see what's happening under the hood. The problem with this is that you get no personal reply. If they can see what's going on and it's a bug in the program, they'll document it and enter it in their database of bugs for the developers. If they determine it's not a bug, or can't reproduce your problem, you won't know what they've discarded it.

Perhaps a better next step would be to call Quicken Support, where an agent can screen-share your Quicken with you and try to see what's happening. If they can document a loan fide problem, they can report it as a bug. But I suspect they'll have you export your data and import it into a new file, and if the problem goes away, they'll consider it resolved -- even though you'll have to re-create lots of things, from register settings to account downloads to reports to budgets. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Meld
    Meld Member
    Jacobs, thanks, yes my Mac Date settings are correct. I am now beginning to wonder if it a data issue with the financial institution I am downloading from. I have another account with another institution and I am not encountering the same problem on that account.
This discussion has been closed.