Updating transactions asking for Ally Bank credentials, even when deactivated

Options
Quicken - Premier, 2020, R31.8, 27.1.31.8 on Windows 10 Pro.
Membership valid until 7/1/2021

When I attempt to update any account (One Step Update, individual account, etc), Quicken continually asks for Ally Bank credentials - even when I'm not updating Ally Bank.

1) I have to enter my Ally user id and password every time I try to update, even though these credentials are stored in the Vault.

2) I have to enter my Ally user ID and password even though I have unselected Ally to updated.

3) I have to enter my Ally user ID and password even when I try to update an individual account that isn't Ally Bank.

4) I have to enter a code from SMS every time I enter my Ally Bank credentials.

5) Quicken takes me to the Add Account page, shows me the full list of my Ally accounts as if I am setting up this account for the first time, and I have to select a bunch of my accounts and say "Don't Add to Quicken".

6) Depending on the order in which my other accounts process in the download/update, some of my other accounts after Ally do not ever update.

7) If I cancel, it takes me to the Add Account page and doesn't update my other accounts.

8) I deactivated my Ally accounts from Quicken download and it still asks for Ally credentials and it still prevents my other accounts from updating.

I saw another post from someone who had a similar but slightly different issue and deactivating and validating caused them a huge amount of problems, so I'm not sure what else to try.

The only other thing I have noticed is that Quicken is using Express Web Connect for Ally Bank.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the new improved Express Web Connect connection method...

I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all the registers using the Express Web Connect connection method.  If the issue persists, contact Quicken Support and ask them to reset your profile: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

• bumgarb
    bumgarb Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thank you for your response @Sherlock

I tried disconnecting all Express Web Connect accounts and then ran an update for my accounts that are all Direct Connect. The issue appeared to be gone HOWEVER as soon as I added 1 account back in that was Express Web Connect (not Ally) the issue came back.

The rest of this is my interaction with Quicken Support; I called as you suggested. I'm basically posting here in case you have additional information such as call support back and insist that they remove your online data, reset your profile, etc...

I called Quicken Support, explained the issue and what I had tried. I said that a member of the community said the next thing I should try is a Reset of my Profile.

Support put me on hold. When he came back he said there was nothing wrong with the profile. He said the issue is something with my data file.

We did a screen share session and I'm going to list out all the stuff we did, but tell you now that none of it worked. (You can skip to after this section to see what else he said were my options going forward.)

========
    So, we made a copy that was just had the last 4 years of data:
    File > File Operations > Copy...
    SET Include transactions From: <date 4 years ago>
    To: <today's date>
    UNCHECK first two options
    When the process is done - Use copy...

Then validated the file:
    File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...
    CHECK Validate file

* 1 category error was corrected, no other errors

Then made another copy:
    File > File Operations > Copy...
    SET Include transactions From: <date 4 years ago>
    To: <today's date>
    UNCHECK first two options
    When the process is done - Use copy...

Then SUPER validate the file:
    File > File Operations > HOLD Ctrl+Shift and CLICK Validate and Repair...
    CHECK Super Validate file

*no errors were found.

He had me try reconnecting one of my Express Web Connect accounts, but not Ally. After adding the account, he had me try a One Step Update, it started asking for Ally credentials.

So he had me go File > New Quicken File...
    He had me add in an account that was not Ally.
    This seemed to be fine.
    He had me add another account that was not Ally.
    This seemed again to be fine.

Due to this, he decided the issue was some kind of corruption in my data file. He had me go Help > Log Files and send him 4-5 different log files via a secure upload link he sent me.

He ran some kind of process and/or manual review against these log files and determined that my data file is corrupt.
    ========

He stated unfortunately your data file is corrupt and you have 2 options:
    1) Load a backup from before this issue started.
    2) Start over

He saw that I had a number of investments and apologized that this was going to be a problem if I have to start over and suggested I try to use a backup. I said that I know the issue started in late November/early December and I've just been putting up with it to get through the holidays.

At this point, I thanked him and ended the call... I should have kept him on the phone.

I tried my last October 2020 backup... it's asking for Ally credentials when trying any form of an update, including not Ally or with Ally disconnected.

I tried my earliest October 2020 backup... it's asking for Ally credentials when trying any form of an update, including not Ally or with Ally disconnected.

I know this issue was not going on back in October 2020 because I wouldn't have put up with this mess for that long and I would have tried to get it corrected before the end of the year holiday season if it had.

Just as a sanity test I tried my July 2020 backup... it's asking for Ally credentials when trying any form of an update, including not Ally or with Ally disconnected.

There is absolutely no way this issue was happening back in July 2020.

It definitely seems to me that something outside of the data file is the issue and trying to open any backup is being corrupted or simply loading whatever is corrupted that is causing the issue.

I guess I'll just start over and see if the issue starts up once I connect Ally.

As I said, I'm basically posting here in case you have additional information such as call support back and insist that they remove your online data, reset your profile, etc...

Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account. You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

Again, I do suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all the registers using the Express Web Connect connection method.  Quicken Support should know how to reset your profile.  

When we have deactivated all of the Online Services of the registers using the Express Web Connect connection method, all of the Express Web Connect state associated with the Quicken file preserved in the servers is supposed to also be cleared but sometimes the state is not completely cleared.  We used to be able to force the reset of the profile ourselves but it now requires Quicken Support.

This discussion has been closed.