Will the newest Quicken for Mac run on a new Mac Mini with the M1 chip and Big Sur OS?

Options
Also, I have searched the Quicken site extensively and cannot find a phone number to ask a couple of questions before I commit to buy Quicken subscription. Does anyone have the number?

Best Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, M1 Macs (which only run Big Sur and above) are supported.  See this press release from November:

https://www.quicken.com/press/quicken-releases-version-60-its-popular-quicken-mac-personal-finance-software

(I see why you had a problem finding this information:  Quicken has not updated the information on their 'system requirements' page which still says that an Intel Mac is required.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hmmm, that last item sounds fishy -- that a 2007 data file cannot be converted on a Mac running Big Sur. The key part of the conversion actuals connects to a Quicken server to run the 32-bit code to extract the data from the Quicken 2007 data file; that was required after Catalina, but there's been no indication it's no longer available under Big Sur.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, M1 Macs (which only run Big Sur and above) are supported.  See this press release from November:

https://www.quicken.com/press/quicken-releases-version-60-its-popular-quicken-mac-personal-finance-software

(I see why you had a problem finding this information:  Quicken has not updated the information on their 'system requirements' page which still says that an Intel Mac is required.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• MacViking
    MacViking Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding, MontanaKarl. I've spent hours trying to find the answer on their website, or even some way to contact them. Finally did a Google search fro the Menlo Park phone number and then the chat program, but still waiting for an answer there. They don't make it easy to buy from them. I'm presuming the new Quicken will convert my Quicken 2007 files as well.
  • MacViking
    MacViking Member ✭✭
    Options
    Follow-up - Finally had a connection through the chat function. For others, the answers were: it WILL run on a new M1 (silicon) chip Mac, it requires either Big Sur, Catalina or Mojave OS on any machine, and the conversion of files from Quicken 2007 can only be done on Catalina or Mojave.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hmmm, that last item sounds fishy -- that a 2007 data file cannot be converted on a Mac running Big Sur. The key part of the conversion actuals connects to a Quicken server to run the 32-bit code to extract the data from the Quicken 2007 data file; that was required after Catalina, but there's been no indication it's no longer available under Big Sur.
  • MacViking
    MacViking Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, jacobs. As it turns out, you are absolutely correct. The install for Quicken for Mac on Big Sur guided me through the conversion of my Quicken 2007 with no trouble at all, and no need to revert to an earlier OS. Thank God because Mojave installer seems unavailable now, and Catalina failed twice on my older iMac. That first chat lady didn't have the knowledge that was needed in this case, but the second guy I spoke to was excellent and solved a couple of minor glitches for me. Thanks to this forum for your expertise.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Glad you got it take care of. And thanks for posting to confirm that the Quicken on Big Sur does, indeed, convert old Quicken 2007 files. There an ever-dwindling number of people still using Quicken 2007 who will need to upgrade at some point, and it would be bad news if the upgrade path was broken. So I'm glad to hear that the support agent gave you wrong information, and that it worked as expected.
This discussion has been closed.