Quicken for Mac Home Page

Before the major update in 2020 I had used the Accounts Summary report page as my home page for opening and closing, as well as launch point for all accounts. Along with the the menu bar summary report those two tools were most useful for me. That report as home page is no longer possible under the new format. Is it possible to have an option to customize home page and perhaps make the Accounts Summary home page again?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you open the Accounts Summary report, it opens in a separate window. Just leave that window open when you quit Quicken, and it will be there when you relaunch Quicken each time.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that is correct, but it's not functional as an active window. Previously when it was not a pop-up report, the accounts column on the left could actively be used for navigation to other functions with what is the Accounts Summary Report embedded, also with hyperlinks. And you are correct, that's the page I would leave open when quitting and reopening, it's what worked well for navigating to accounts, more relevant to what's important to me. As a pop-up, that functionality is lost. I would like the capability or option to make that report an active page again.

In a perfect world, the old Quicken drop down summary from the Mac menu bar (stays updated without logging into Quicken) would be wonderful to have back, that was a great loss.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @John L4  You might note if you look own the reports screen that the icon next to Accounts Summary is a gray rectangle. This is the symbol attached to any of the remaining "old" reports which were inherited from the predecessor (2010 era) Quicken Essentials program. Little by little, most reports in Quicken Mac have been re-written using the "new" (2017 era) reports engine. Accounts Summary is likely on the road to being eliminated because it's functionality now exists in other places, or it's on the roadmap for re-write using the new reports engine (which adds more users controls and exporting, among other things).

One of the annoying things to me, and one reason I rarely opened this report, is that by default, it lists all closed accounts, making it cluttered with useless information. I realize I can hide those close accounts by editing the report, and then saving it under another name. I wish the default report excluded closed accounts and made it optional to add them instead of the other way around.

But the other reason I don't use this report is because it simply repeats what I see in the sidebar. The sidebar is compact, shows my account, my group totals, and my total Net Worth -- the same as the Accounts Summary report. So why do I need the Account Summary report? You might say Accounts Summary can be printed while the sidebar can't -- but a Net Worth Report also shows the exact same data. (The only value I could see to Account Summary would be if you want to make custom reports for just a subset of your accounts, such as your investing or retirement accounts -- but again, the Net Worth report is the exact same thing, and could accomplish that purpose.) To me, the Net Worth report is the modern, better replacement for the old Accounts Summary report. Accounts Summary only shows values as of today. (It appears to let you edit the dates range, but it ignores the dates and always shows as of today. ) The Net Worth report defaults to today, but can be set to the end of last month or last year or any other date, which is much more versatile.

You raise the issue of using the report to navigate to your accounts. I think it's intentional that this is gone, as navigation isn't really consistent with a "report." The sidebar is intended to be the way to navigate to your accounts. If you have a lot of accounts, you can easily collapse and expand sections or sub-sections you don't want to see all the time. Why do you also need a report to use to do the same navigation? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    People have varying preferences for data snapshots and point of time. I'm aware of the workarounds/current format options and by necessisty use them.

My request was simply for the option to restore the legacy Accounts Summary Report as an active page that Quicken can be opened and closed from, as opposed to the current pop-up window.
This discussion has been closed.