Web connect changed to direct connect on my credit card after Quicken software update.

I can no longer download my updates from Citizens Bank using web connect for my credit card. I have no trouble with other accounts. Quicken says I am using direct connect for that account, but I have never used direct connect. This happened after my quicken software did an update 2/1/21. I did not update to this service and prefer not to use it. When I try to change it back to web connect, there is nowhere to do so. I have had this less than a month and it seems fishy to me that yesterday it worked fine and today it does not. I discovered the problem when the QFX download from my bank would not open because of the change to direct connect.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @JaniceMM

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd that it switched your connection method. we should be able to fix this by deactivating and readding the accounts to be linked to existing accounts. I'll leave steps below on how to do so.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Next you'll want to go across the top to tools > add account. Search up the Citizens bank connection you were previously using and hit next. Sign in and you should see a screen with all your accounts. You'll want to make sure that they're linking to the correct accounts 

Once you've done this let us know how it goes. If you have any issues please let us know and we'll see what we can find.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• JaniceMM
    JaniceMM Member ✭✭
    The problem is I am using web connect because I am not willing to give my bank logins to anybody. I have no problem on my other credit card from another bank and my checking and savings at the same bank I am having a problem. All I want to do is download the QFX file from my bank, either directly opening into the credit card account in Quicken or import it from a QFX file I save in my pc. I can do neither. Quicken tried to get the file to work and then tells me it is the bank file. The bank says they have not changed anything or done any updates since I downloaded last a week ago. They insist it is Quicken. I find it a complete coincidence that Updates happened in Quicken in the latter part of January and what worked last week isn't now, and my 30 days were up on January 30, and they keep asking me if I want to give them my logins for my bank to do the download. The settings for the credit card is changed to no online services, whereas the others remain yes (improve your connection). there is also no place to change the connection back to web connect, the only option is give us your logins under direct connect.
  • JaniceMM
    JaniceMM Member ✭✭
    My only option it seems is to try again tomorrow, and if it doesn't work, Quicken will refund my money according the support, but I so wanted to find a way to use this program and I am very disappointed. I certainly don't trust them enough now to give them my log in for my bank. I shall enter the info by CSV into a spreadsheet I wrote and figure out how to do the spreadsheet for a budget. :-(
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    JaniceMM said:
    The problem is I am using web connect because I am not willing to give my bank logins to anybody. I have no problem on my other credit card from another bank and my checking and savings at the same bank I am having a problem. All I want to do is download the QFX file from my bank, either directly opening into the credit card account in Quicken or import it from a QFX file I save in my pc. I can do neither. Quicken tried to get the file to work and then tells me it is the bank file. The bank says they have not changed anything or done any updates since I downloaded last a week ago. They insist it is Quicken. I find it a complete coincidence that Updates happened in Quicken in the latter part of January and what worked last week isn't now, and my 30 days were up on January 30, and they keep asking me if I want to give them my logins for my bank to do the download. The settings for the credit card is changed to no online services, whereas the others remain yes (improve your connection). there is also no place to change the connection back to web connect, the only option is give us your logins under direct connect.
    Given that you have already deactivated the Online Services associated with the register, I suggest you clear the name of the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details window (open the register and press Ctrl + Shift + E)  When you subsequently attempt to import the QFX file, Quicken should allow you to select the existing register.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @JaniceMM

Thanks for the update. My mistake I thought it was express web connect but it was not like you said so my steps are inaccurate. Going on what Sherlock said I'm not sure if this was tried when after you deactivated but I would also attempt to try importing the QFX file by going across the top to file > file import > QFX file. I do recall some users having issues importing the file by opening it outside of Quicken it may help.

Let us know if this helps!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • JaniceMM
    JaniceMM Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I did try your suggestion, but Quicken cannot open the file. I get error message OL-221-A and I believe the error is with the bank QFX file. I had called the bank and they said it was a known issue and that Quicken could talk me through opening the file. After talking to Quicken, they could not help and said it was the bank's QFX file is not compatible with Quicken. If Quicken's update caused a change in formatting, then they should reach out to the bank to make sure the formatting is compatible. I told the bank that I would suspend using their credit card until they could work with Quicken to find out why and I told Quicken I would not be able to continue using their program and felt stuck because the update happened after my 30-days were up to return it. Although they offered to return my money, the money's already spent and I will give them the rest of the year to clear this up. Whoever stops playing chicken first will retain my business or I can go with another bank, another program. I am not that important and neither probably cares, but I felt better. I bet if I gave Quicken my bank logins or updated to the more expensive program, it would work, but I am not willing to do either one.
    If all I can download is CSV, which works with my homemade Excel program, then I am happy to continue doing that. I just need to work on a budgeting spreadsheet. The registers and the budgeting tools are all I need from Quicken since I am retired and do not do any investing. Maybe I'll make up something easy enough for other retirees to use to keep a handle on their spending and budget and sell it on my own. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.
  • JaniceMM
    JaniceMM Member ✭✭
    Quicken Francisco, I also tried your way of importing and it did not help. Got the error message.

Sherlock and Quicken Francisco, thank you both for trying. I believe the motto of every institution and program using technology should be: If it ain't broke, we fix it anyway, and then fix the fix, fix the fix, fix the fix.... ;)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    JaniceMM said:
    Sherlock, I did try your suggestion, but Quicken cannot open the file. I get error message OL-221-A and I believe the error is with the bank QFX file. I had called the bank and they said it was a known issue and that Quicken could talk me through opening the file. After talking to Quicken, they could not help and said it was the bank's QFX file is not compatible with Quicken. If Quicken's update caused a change in formatting, then they should reach out to the bank to make sure the formatting is compatible. I told the bank that I would suspend using their credit card until they could work with Quicken to find out why and I told Quicken I would not be able to continue using their program and felt stuck because the update happened after my 30-days were up to return it. Although they offered to return my money, the money's already spent and I will give them the rest of the year to clear this up. Whoever stops playing chicken first will retain my business or I can go with another bank, another program. I am not that important and neither probably cares, but I felt better. I bet if I gave Quicken my bank logins or updated to the more expensive program, it would work, but I am not willing to do either one.
    If all I can download is CSV, which works with my homemade Excel program, then I am happy to continue doing that. I just need to work on a budgeting spreadsheet. The registers and the budgeting tools are all I need from Quicken since I am retired and do not do any investing. Maybe I'll make up something easy enough for other retirees to use to keep a handle on their spending and budget and sell it on my own. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.
    The QFX format hasn't changed.  In my opinion, the issue is certainly the banks to resolve.  There are a few ways you may be able to work around their issue but you really shouldn't need to.  
This discussion has been closed.