ES-1040 STATE tax payments - not imported by TurboTax

This comes under.... Import to TurboTax - and ES-1040 estimated STATE payments.
I happen to make ES-1040 Estimated tax payments to both Fed and State.
Have separate Category items that in turn point to specific tax line items.
I just noticed that the Fed line items come across into TurboTax,
but it appears that the State level entries do not -
and I needed to manually add them to my Illinois State forms on TurboTax.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    I suggest you review the Schedule A: State estimated tax, qrtly transactions in the Tax Summary report for the appropriate year.  If the transactions are present, I suggest you post your query to the TurboTax community: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    I suggest you review the Schedule A: State estimated tax, qrtly transactions in the Tax Summary report for the appropriate year.  If the transactions are present, I suggest you post your query to the TurboTax community: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    That's how I caught it - nothing was there for the State entries.
    Just looking around in Quicken and the Tax Planner - and don't think I see anything related to potential "State" line items ..... guessing that maybe only Fed line items, or items that are specifically reflected in the Tax Planner are made avail to TurboTax. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    took another look - as per above - thanks for the nudge
    Not sure why it didn't Import to the Fed tax worksheet - which feeds the State worksheet.
    Oh well.. just another area to go over before filing
    [EDIT] - 2nd look.... OK they are there in the Quicken - State & Local Income Tax -
    Next.... to try again with a clean Import with TurboTax -
    And yup - they are there in the TurboTax worksheet for Fed & State ....
    Not sure why they didn't appear...
    Also - of course the ESTIMATED ES-1040 Taxes are not really on Scheduel A -
    which is for Deductions of SALT - the ES-1040 taxes are on a separate TurboTax Tax Payments Worksheet

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    .. just a little nit - the Quicken Tax Planner doesn't know about the January payment that occurs in the "following" year.  So, it is February 2021, the 4th ES-1040 payments have been made in January 2021 for tax year 2020, but the Quicken Tax Planner has missed  the "2020" payment made in "2021".... it has the Fed - but missed the State ?
    Lastly - the ES-1040 January 4th payments are therefore NOT being recognized and Imported via TurboTax .... it gets the 3 "in-year" payments,
    but not the January one paid in the following year.... for BOTH the Fed and State.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Ps56k2 said:
    the Quicken Tax Planner has missed  the "2020" payment made in "2021".... it has the Fed - but missed the State ?
    This is correct behavior. State estimated income taxes paid are federally deductible only in the year they are actually paid.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Rocket J Squirrel said:
    This is correct behavior. State estimated income taxes paid are federally deductible only in the year they are actually paid.
    tnx for the pointer - yeah, just am looking at the forms - and forgot that I pretty much ignore those pages since I get limited by the SALT $10k limit
    But.... you have to be careful that at least all FOUR payments are entered in TTax.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.