Memo showing in report that I did not enter

KM
KM Member ✭✭
In my tax report Quicken has a memo for Covid Relief on my refund. I did not type the memo and when I go to the transaction it is not there. It only shows up on the report. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a way to remove it?
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sure sounds like you have database corruption. The short term fix is probably to delete the offending transaction and re-enter a fresh one. But I would for sure contact support so they can help check for corruption. This will likely result in exporting the data and importing it to a fresh database.

Oh,, and make sure  you have a backup each and every time you open/close the file. This could potentially blow up and trash your data. Also, make sure you keep a backup of the file before deleting the bad transaction for support to look at.

Here's fingers crossed that support finds an easy fix.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    I wonder if there's a much simpler answer. Find that transaction, and double-click it for editing. Click Edit Details, and then click on the Splits tab. Is the text you see on the report on the split line, or the right side in the Notes field? If so, blank it out and save the transaction. The text will now be gone from your report.

This is a little-noticed thing in Quicken Mac: there's the Memo/Notes field on the main transaction and a Notes field on each split line. In reports, Quicken will show both of these notes.

Normally, on a transaction with no splits, there's no Note on the split line. But if you've re-used an older Payee which originally had a split, and you deleted all but the first split line, or you clicked the Clear All Splits button, the Note on the original first split line remains -- and it will therefore show up on a report.

Here's an example. Here's a report showing a transaction for my Payee called Test Transaction. Notice the Memo/Note field shows "Split Line Memo":

Here's what that transaction looks like in the register:

Note that there's nothing in Memo/Notes. So why is there a Memo/Notes entry on the report when its not on the transaction? Because the Note is on the split line, even though this isn't a split transaction:

@KM Is this what's happened with your refund transaction?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jacobs Great point, I shoulda thought of that. Maybe the sky is not falling after all, Chicken Little.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • KM
    KM Member ✭✭
    It would have been a good idea to have taken a screen shot. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I did double click it for editing and there was no memo on the split line. I tried several different ways and the only time I saw it was on the report. I finally just changed the payee name (which is the name when I automatically download) and that took care of it. Thanks so much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.