Missing the Running Balance [Edited]

beviejean
beviejean Member
Sorry, new to this community.  Been using Quicken for many years. Just bought a new laptop and another Quicken version to use on it. I don't have a running balance column available nor is the settings and reconcile button highlighted. Why?

Best Answer

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    So, yes, QMac has almost the same choices and there IS a 'balance' choice.  Right click (ctrl-left click) on any heading in the bank register and you'll get this pop-up to let you select which columns to display.  Alphabetical like QWin... Balance is 4th down...  If it IS selected and you still don't see it, try Reset to Default and start over.  Also drag existing columns to make them super narrow if necessary so that you can be sure you are seeing every column if you happen to be on a small laptop screen.  Then arrange as you really want them.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    edited January 2021
    What is 'another Quicken version'?  Are you on Windows or Mac?  The answer depends on which platform.  And, I assume you mean you purchased a subscription - meaning you're on the most current release?  What type of account is missing the running balance - checking, credit card, etc?  Is your window wide enough that you can see all available columns?  (Many choices of columns to show - but need to know Mac/Windows to give the correct steps.)

• beviejean
    beviejean Member
    I have the Starter version. It's in the checking account register. I have taken the width out to the end and still no running balance.
  • MontanaKarl
    OK... so WIndows.   The screenshots here show Deluxe - I assume Starter behaves the same.  At the top right of your checking account register screen you should see a Gear icon.  Click that, then click on "Register columns..." and you'll see the second screenshot where you should put a checkmark in front of "Balance".   The potential columns are listed alphabetically, but once back in your register, you can drag them into the order you like.  Hope that helps.

• beviejean
    beviejean Member
    actually it's a MAC. I've tried that but there isn't a "balance" choice.
  • MontanaKarl
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    So, yes, QMac has almost the same choices and there IS a 'balance' choice.  Right click (ctrl-left click) on any heading in the bank register and you'll get this pop-up to let you select which columns to display.  Alphabetical like QWin... Balance is 4th down...  If it IS selected and you still don't see it, try Reset to Default and start over.  Also drag existing columns to make them super narrow if necessary so that you can be sure you are seeing every column if you happen to be on a small laptop screen.  Then arrange as you really want them.

• David G
    David G Member ✭✭
    There is no "balance" box on my Quicken 6.1.1 for mac. It's plumb missing. All other choices are there on the menu drop down.
  • David G
    David G Member ✭✭
    Here's my menu quicken deluxe for mac 10.15.7 version 6.1.1
  • David G
    David G Member ✭✭
    I also just installed the upgrade from Quicken. Maybe that's the problem.?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @David G It appears you have selected one of the groups or subgroups in the left sidebar (All Transactions, Banking, Cash, Checking, etc.). Quicken doesn't offer to show a balance if you've selected one of these groups, because those registers display transactions from multiple accounts and a running balance doesn't make sense for multiple accounts mixed together. Click on an individual account in the left sidebar, and your Balance column will be visible.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • David G
    David G Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the hint. I will try. It worked! I only have one account, but somehow groups got mixed in even though they have no transactions, and I found the subtitles I never saw!
This discussion has been closed.