Can I start Quicken without it opening a data file?

Options
I'd like to start Quicken without it automatically opening a data file because I use several different files and I don't want to start entering data in the wrong file. I guess the easiest way to think of it would be to think of starting Word or Excel and then selecting the document or spreadsheet you'd like to open. Thank you in advance!

Best Answers

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes! Hold the control key when you click the Quicken icon & continue holding it until quicken starts. You then have the File and Help menu options. 

wags Glad to be here!

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If I can make another suggestion...What I do is put a link to each data file on my PC desktop.  Then you just pick the one you want to open (rather than the generic Quicken icon) and it starts Quicken with that particular data file.  I have used this method for years and it works great.

Answers

• studpup
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes! Hold the control key when you click the Quicken icon & continue holding it until quicken starts. You then have the File and Help menu options. 

wags Glad to be here!

• Rexpowers
    Rexpowers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. That worked great and so simple!
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If I can make another suggestion...What I do is put a link to each data file on my PC desktop.  Then you just pick the one you want to open (rather than the generic Quicken icon) and it starts Quicken with that particular data file.  I have used this method for years and it works great.
  • studpup
    Options
    That works great too, but I've never been able to get two instances of Quicken open at the same time (except running one in a vm). Has anyone figured out a work-around? I'd love to compare two different files.

wags Glad to be here!

• Rexpowers
    Rexpowers Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have seen posts on this with the only answer I've seen is the vm method. I agree with you, I'd love to compare two files and think this would be useful to others. Can you imagine if you couldn't do this in Excel?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Studpup said:
    That works great too, but I've never been able to get two instances of Quicken open at the same time (except running one in a vm). Has anyone figured out a work-around? I'd love to compare two different files.

There is no work around, you can only have one instance of Quicken running at a time.  Doing the VM is the only way and it only works since you have two instances of Windows running.
    This applies to Quicken for Windows, I have no idea what is and is not possible with Quicken for Mac.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rexpowers
    Rexpowers Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @bmciance said:
    > If I can make another suggestion...What I do is put a link to each data file on my PC desktop.  Then you just pick the one you want to open (rather than the generic Quicken icon) and it starts Quicken with that particular data file.  I have used this method for years and it works great.

Great idea. Didn't think of it but sometimes afraid of doing anything to different with Quicken and corrupting my data file.
This discussion has been closed.