Budgeting Run Rates for In Month Tracking

Options
Does anyone know how Quicken could implement Run Rates in the Budgeting process to help with in-month tracking? I track my mortgage payments and my regular grocery bills differently, since I pay my mortgage only once a month, while I buy groceries regularly. By the second week of the month, I can't easily tell if I'm overspending on groceries in-month but it's a simple yes/no amount if I've paid my mortgage (and the like).

I do this today all outside of Quicken in Excel. Wondered if it's possible to do it inside of Quicken. Thanks!

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you have set up your budget in Quicken, the budget report "Current Budget", set to "Year to Date" as the Date Range, will prorate the current month's budget vs actual values based on today's date. If, for example, today was the 15th and you budget $10 for the whole month, it will show $5 as this month's budget and compare it to this month's actual transactions dated 1st-15th.
    The Planning tab's budget view, set to Graph View, Monthly, will also show you your under/over budget status for each selected category.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By "run rates" do you mean a comparison of Budget to Actual for the month?  Or what?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you have set up your budget in Quicken, the budget report "Current Budget", set to "Year to Date" as the Date Range, will prorate the current month's budget vs actual values based on today's date. If, for example, today was the 15th and you budget $10 for the whole month, it will show $5 as this month's budget and compare it to this month's actual transactions dated 1st-15th.
    The Planning tab's budget view, set to Graph View, Monthly, will also show you your under/over budget status for each selected category.
  • glegly@
    glegly@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    It's the 15th of the month of a 30 day month. I've spent $2,000 on groceries month to date against a full month's budget of $3,000, and if that daily run rate continues we will have overspent our budget by 33%, but from what I know of Quicken, it wouldn't become apparent I'm over budget until around the third week of the month, all the tables and charts would still be in the green.

is there any kind of function in Quicken that tracks this?
  • glegly@
    glegly@ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks UKR!
This discussion has been closed.