Incorrect Items Showing in Unspecified Business Items (Tax Summary Report)

BarryGraham
BarryGraham Member, Windows Beta Beta
Almost all of my items in Quicken are appearing in the tax summary as unspecified business items even though the "Tax Related Category" box is not checked on the Tax Reporting tab. There seems little point in giving us the option to specify whether or not an item is tax related if the report is going to include anyway in the tax summary. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the tax reporting tab?
Barry Graham
Quicken H&B Subscription

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @BMG4ME

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Tax related items are designated by assigning a "tax line item" to the category.  If a tax line has been assigned, the transaction will appear in tax related reports.

More information on tax line items is also available here and here.

A "unspecified business expense" transaction can appear in reports for a few different reasons, but almost always, Quicken needs additional information to properly display the transaction details.

If you haven't already, please review the information available in the Quicken in-product Help for how these type of transactions occur and how to resolve them.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • BarryGraham
    I cannot believe that a year later I am having the same issue and when I googled it I found this post from me, with an answer that didn't resolve the issue!

The items concerned are associated with Quicken categories that do not have the "Tax related category" box checked here.  They are in the "Personal" group.

Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • BarryGraham
    edited February 2021
    OK I figured out the issue.  It's becayse the tag I use somehow got defined as a business tag (which it shouldn't be). I fixed it by changing the tag associated with the business.
    Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
This discussion has been closed.