Subtotals by Tags

joedisanto
joedisanto Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have been using quicken H&B for a long time. In my original database file, I can do a report, double click on a category, and then subtotal by tag. (see attached).

However, I have created a new file from scratch (for tracking something separately), and for whatever reason, when I try to do the same thing, I am no longer offered the option of "subtotaling" by tag. I can "sort by tag", but that does not provide tag subtotals. It just resorts the list of transactions.

Is there a reason I might now be missing this incredibly important feature of subtotaling by tag, in my new file? It is the case that the reports in my original database are saved reports from many tears back. Is subtotaling by tag being phased out of reports?
Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your customization screenshot suggests the base report is a Banking Transactions report.  You did not indicate what report you were working from in the new file.
  • joedisanto
    joedisanto Member ✭✭
    how can I figure out what the original base report is? I haven't been able to figure that out (it was originally save a long time ago).

Regardless, I am trying to start over with every possible report option, but none seem to allow the "subtotal by" option anymore.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Banking Transaction report shows the same customization options your screenshot shows.  You need to scroll down the Subtotal selections to get the Tag option.  
  • joedisanto
    joedisanto Member ✭✭
    I just pulled a banking summary report. Yes, I can select to subtotal by tag on the first page/level. But when I click into a category for detail, I can only sort by tag there.

If you look at my original screenshot of the category detail page/level, I can both subtotal by tag and sort.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My QWin Subscription R30.21 shows Banking Transaction Report header information as:

The data presentation appears to match yours.  What Quicken version are you running?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that your new file screenshot seems to be for a Banking Summary report, rather than a Banking Transactions report.  
  • joedisanto
    joedisanto Member ✭✭
    well it is. But in my old file on my saved report...the initial report is a cash flow report. And then when I click into the category for detail, I guess it transitions to a banking transaction report...because I get the options of subtotal and sort. Is that sequence based on preferences or something? I cant seem to replicate when starting from a new report.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic Cash Flow Report > drill down (click on category) yields one report form.  
    The Cash Flow by Tag Report > drill down (click on category) yields the report form you seek (I believe).

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, If I start with the stock Cash Flow by Tag report it defaults to having Categories in the rows and Column set to Don't subtotal.

If I double click on the amount in a Category that has some transactions with tags, it shows a banking transaction report for that category.

If I subtotal that report by Tag, the tags are broken out.

Are you seeing something different?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • joedisanto
    joedisanto Member ✭✭
    Thx Jim...this will show you what Im getting. When I start with a new cash flow report, and I drill down to a category with tagged transactions, I do not see the subtotal button anymore. If I pull up one of my saved reports (that are many years old at this point), I do get the the subtotal option still.

https://www.loom.com/share/11b5579c70684c9ca84bee84a0b67d3a
  • Helen1
    Helen1 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem....... :( .In reports the "'Subtotal by" drop down menu no longer includes "Tag". I've tried new reports in banking, and most of the suggestions above (atleast the ones that I understand) and they do not work. I look up some old reports and the last time I saved them, they were subtotaled by tag, but when I go to the drop down menu for that old report, tag no longer appears, yet it is subtotalled that way. Incidentally, I did downgrade to Quicken Basic, but I don't think this should make a difference.
  • Jim_Harman
    Quicken Starter Edition does not support Tags in reports.
  • Helen1
    Helen1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Just upgraded.
  • tizbubbly
    tizbubbly Member
    I just upgraded to Home and Office subscription and installed the new version.
    Now I don't see subtotal in the reports at all. I did this to use the subtotal by tag feature in reports.
  • tizbubbly
    tizbubbly Member
    I may have found a report that will do. I selected the "spending by category" report and finally saw an option to subtotal by tag. I have 4 businesses that I need to separate out for 2020 taxes. This is a game changer.
  • cmeersma
    cmeersma Member
    The "Spending by Category" report does not offer Tags at all for my Quicken Starter edition. I can find no reports that support Tags let alone Subtotal by Tag. Can anyone verify if a higher-level edition of Quicken will give me Tags in reports?
  • Jim_Harman
    That's right, Starter edition does not support tags in reports. All higher versions support tags in reports.
This discussion has been closed.