Why can you not budget principle when setting up a mortgage?

I created a mortgage account and split my payments Principle, Interest, PMI, Hazard Ins and Real Estate Tax. When I look into the budget I see the splits no problem but when the actual payment hits the principle goes to the mortgage account detail (as it should) but does not show up in the budget as paid and there fore shows me under budget for the principle. You would think that when the mortgage is set up automatically there should be an internal trigger to update both. Now if I split the amounts outside the account setup it works but does not update the account. The account is updated when transactions are downloaded.
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because that's a Transfer (it reduces your debt, but doesn't impact your net worth), not an Expense (which reduces your net worth).
    You can, however, select to include transfers in your Budget.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Actually the principle increases net worth by reducing total liability of the Asset which in turn appears to increase Net Worth. Total Assets - Total Liabilities = Net Worth
    Using the transfer option it pulls the entire amount for the transaction. Principle, Interest and Escrow values also not reflected properly in budget.

I have done both ways and have not liked either I may have to go back to manually doing it with no transfer to the Mortgage until I download the transactions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUT when you make that Principal and Interest payment, you're reducing your checking account (reducing your Net Worth) and decreasing your Principal owed (making it less negative).  
    The combined action of the checking reduction (principal portion) and principal reduction is a net $0 to your net worth.
    The interest portion of that payment is an expense, which also reduces your Net worth ... but without an offset.
    And, I assume you mean Principal payment, because what you've written makes no sense. "the principle increases net worth by reducing total liability"
    You need to use, in your payment, a SPLIT transaction ... with some parts going to the loan account and other parts going to expenses, or to other transfers such as Escrow accounts.
    BTW, take another  look at my signature area ... I think I've got the credentials re: this discussion.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Actually the principle increases net worth by reducing total liability of the Asset 

Wrong.

Here is an example.

Checking account: $0
    House worth: $100,000
    Loan on house: -$90,000
    Total net worth: $10,000

Paycheck comes in for a net of $100.
    Checking account: $100
    House worth: $100,000
    Loan on house: -$90,000
    Total net worth: $10,100

Transfer $50 from checking to house loan:
    Checking account: $50
    House worth: $100,00
    Loan on house: -$89,950
    Total net worth: $10,100

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Now that I look at it closer It's more appearance than anything, the transactions are correct but here's how it looks in the budget:
    Budget Actual Balance
    -Mortgage 2171 2171 0
    Home Insurance 86 86
    Interest 672 672
    PMI 220 220
    Principle 0 0 0
    Property tax 1,193 1,193

If I add in the transfer TO at the bottom of the page it shows

TO Mortgage account 648 648 0

Under the Category Mortgage the principle is not shown because it is a transfer.
    the total mortgage payment of 2171 does not reflect the actual transaction of 2818 that was the actual transaction by the mortgage company from my bank account.

All I am saying is it would be nice to have the principle reflected under the mortgage category so the total mortgage balances back to the actual transaction.

It's just presentation.

I have done it manually in the past and not had the transfer to the mortgage account. I let principle and interested be updated by the bank transactions alone.

I will not argue the calculation of net worth!
    Truth be told when paying a loan (Mortgage, Car, etc) it it not really a transfer! If you get a statement and write a check or EFT not a TRANSFER in the Accounting sense. Just saying... Quicken simplified it.

Even though EFT stands for Electronic Funds Transfer, behind the scenes it is merely a electronic check that is sent to the clearing house.

Thx.
  • last thing didn't post right anyway I am done!
This discussion has been closed.