How can I get Payee transaction totals even if transactions are split into categories and transfers?

Options
moski
moski Member ✭✭✭
For most household bills, I split the transaction between an expense category (eg: utilities) and a transfer account which is a deposit account set up to track payments from my wife into/out of our joint account. This allows us each to track and manage how we're contributing to household expenses. (Don't ask...we both came from earlier marriages where it would have been nice to know this!) At any rate, when I try to run a report on Payee transactions, I've learned to select only the account from which the check is written, and to allow transfers, so I can see how much total was paid to the vendor. BUT...it still splits each transaction into the two line items (e.g. "utilities" and "spouse prepaid expenses") rather than just what I care about, which is the total for each payment. I haven't found a way to do this. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jacobs said:
    Or… you could limit that date range in your register and export it. The split lines will be there, but are easy to sort out and remove in a spreadsheet.
    The problem with register export to CSV is that is only shows the split lines, not the parent transaction's amount. This is unlike printing the register, which does show the parent transaction amount along with the splits. But there is no easy way to (that I've found) to remove the splits from the printout saved as a PDF.

I've tried to figure a workaround for this and have been unsuccessful. I agree that this would be a good feature request.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't believe there's any way to suppress the splits in a report. That would be a good feature request!

You could make it a Summary report by Payee, over whatever date range and column intervals you want -- but that won't show individual transactions.

Or… you could limit that date range in your register and export it. The split lines will be there, but are easy to sort out and remove in a spreadsheet.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about just running the report in the register itself and exporting it...I can see how that would work. I may do as you suggest and make this a feature request to Product Management. I appreciate your help!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jacobs said:
    The problem with register export to CSV is that is only shows the split lines, not the parent transaction's amount. This is unlike printing the register, which does show the parent transaction amount along with the splits. But there is no easy way to (that I've found) to remove the splits from the printout saved as a PDF.

I've tried to figure a workaround for this and have been unsuccessful. I agree that this would be a good feature request.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I submitted a feature request this morning...there's a big backlog, so who knows if/when it will ever get acted upon, but at least I know I'm not crazy about the ask. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.