Still can't download from USAA: error "you need login information from USAA... "

I have followed all the steps to change my USAA accounts to the NEW USAA. I have my Access ID & PIN. I am using the Direct Connect option. I have tried using the "get access ID & PIN" again even though I already have them. Each time I get the same ID & PIN. Every attempt ends with a dialog box that states "you need login information from USAA Federal Savings Bank - New in order to have automatic downloads in Quicken." I have gone through all the steps as directed by a Quicken support representative during a chat session. That included creating a new test file and trying to add the USAA account. Nothing worked. He could not help and said to call USAA.

I have not found another community post that addresses this error message. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Answers

• dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    I have the same thing and have talked to USAA tech support every couple days, they have taken all my input but have given me no steps to resolve. They are working on it is all I can get. I regularly get locked out after about 3 attempts and then have to re-verify with USAA. At this point my transactions are low enough that I am manually entering. I have also discussed the extra sign in page with Quicken Support, so they are aware.
  • deriter
    deriter Member ✭✭✭
    @dlpjm I found out today that I was entering the wrong Access ID. What I took for a 1 on the USAA page that gave me the ID was actually a lower case L. Don't know if that could be your issue, but I found that by copying the ID from the USAA page and pasting it in Quicken instead of typing it in.
  • dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    deriter , thank you for the info, mine however does not have anything close to that problem in my access ID, nothing can be taken for any other character. Still waiting for USAA to fix this. Still can't figure why some people are connecting though. So are you connected now to USAA?
  • deriter
    deriter Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m connected. Not without issues but I got connected. When I got past the wrong Access ID, the next step was to link to existing account numbers, but the numbers shown weren’t correct. I set up a new account and proceeded to download to see what would happen. It downloaded the right transactions for one of my existing accounts, so I backed all that out and redid it linking this time to the correct Quicken account despite the wrong acct number showing on the USAA side. That worked, with some effort to identify and delete duplicates before accepting them. I repeated the process for the second account, without going through the step of setting up a new account first, and it worked also. Again had to delete duplicates before accepting transactions.

Now I’m working on categorizing and adding detail info to a month’s worth of transactions.

I hold out no great hope that future downloads will work, but not much I can do except try them and see.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    dlpjm said:
    deriter , thank you for the info, mine however does not have anything close to that problem in my access ID, nothing can be taken for any other character. Still waiting for USAA to fix this. Still can't figure why some people are connecting though. So are you connected now to USAA?
    The real question is why you aren't being able to connect.  I didn't respond to your thread because I didn't think there is anything I could add to it to help you.  But I can tell you that your situation isn't the norm.  People have got hung up on this or that part of the procedure, and then there are the various problems people have encountered after getting connected, but yours is the first I see with this exact problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    Finally connected today to USAA with doing nothing different on my end, didn't see the secondary pin request from USAA that was holding things up over the past 2 weeks. Now problem is one of my accounts at USAA not showing to match up to. Unable to resolve with USAA tech support and told they will look into it. As of now other USAA accounts seem to be behaving normally, fingers crossed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dlpjm That's great.  As for the missing account, well that is one of the problems that has been reported a lot.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dlpjm
    dlpjm Member ✭✭✭
    Missing account problem solved. USAA changes your account to inactive if you haven't transferred in or out of accountfor a period of time excluding interest. Account interest would download every month without letting you know account is inactive. Since we had to reestablish connection with USAA after their server change, it didn't show inactive accounts. Had to call banking customer service to reactivate. After that, went through new add account process successfully.
  • sjstiles836
    sjstiles836 Member ✭✭
    This answer works.  Just did it now.  USAA has been very difficult to deal with since they dumped the Investment business.  USAA appears to be forcing for security reasons re setting up accounts EACH time you sync accounts with Quicken.  They are not keeping current with Quicken technology and from being a 30 year banker, these are tell tail signs they may dump the banking business too.  Going in for the 3rd time I still get that OL 220 error to fix.  Its USAA.  THIS IS WHAT I DID TO FIX IT.  USAA is forcing me to do this the last 3x I went in.  I did not record a video of what I did, but remember the basic steps.  1. First you need to turn off your existing Direct Connect that doesn't work.  Since Quicken won't let you do that with out re-connecting to USAA, you have to fool Quicken to erase the Direct Connect.  To do this tell Quicken you want to CHANGE your connection type to Web Connect by doing this it will remove all your Direct Connect info from Quicken, but NOT erase your accounts.  2. Now setup Direct Connect for USAA accounts.  3. You will be brought to a logon for USAA.   3. USAA on their website WRONGLY tells you to input your USAA # here.  Instead input your web logon id, for me it is an alpha numeric ID I created.  4. Next they ask for PIN,  This is Not where you put your PIN, instead input your USAA logon password associated with your USAA logon ID.  5. The screen will refresh at this point and they will ask again for a PIN.  YES this is the time you input your USAA PIN, not the debit card PIN, but your web PIN.  6. WAIT you will be presented with your accounts at USAA.  7. From here for each account shown, select the correct account types, then go to far right drop downs and select link to existing account, and pick the one you want it to link to.  (that's right USAA directions WRONG AGAIN -- they tell you, you are forced to create a new file.. BS, no you don't). 8. That is it, your transactions will download..... Your welcome from a former Bank Product Manager who actually uses online banking.  It appears USAA is requiring us to go through this process each time to download.  So want to stay with USAA but they are making is more and more difficult to do business with them. 
This discussion has been closed.