How to change bank login without deactivating

I changed the login for one of my banks (not the password), and the only way I found to change the login (userid) of an online bank is to deactivate the account and reactivate. If I do this, the register becomes totally messed up when I reconnect the account (maybe because it downloads all the transactions for years and something gets duplicated, or something else).

Is there a way to JUST change the login (userid) without deactivating the account?

thanks

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @zurubi - Sorry, but when you change your userid you will need to deactivate the account in Quicken and then reactivate it with the new userid.
    The duplicate transactions you mention is a possibility when you deactive/reactivate but it usually should not present much of a problem if you follow these steps before you reactivate:
    1. Be sure to back up your data file for quick recovery should something go wrong.
    2. Make sure all transactions in the account register are marked "R" for reconciled or blank for uncleard.
    3. Deactivate your account.
    4. Reactivate your account with the new userid. 
    5. Be sure to Link the download to your existing account in Quicken if you are so prompted.
    6. If duplicate transactions are downloaded, make sure you accept them all so they get entered into the register.  Once entered they will have "C" for cleared status.
    7. Review the more recent "C" status transactions to see if any of them should be kept in the register.  Change those that should be kept to "R" status.
    8. Click on the "Clr" column header in the register to sort all transactions by cleared status.
    9. Scroll down to the 1st "C" transaction and left click on it to shade it.
    10. Scroll down to the last "C" transaction and while holding down the Shift Key left click on it.  Now all "C" transactions in the register should be shaded.
    11. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and then left click on "Delete" and then on "Yes".  All your shaded "C" status transactions in the register will be deleted.
    12. Click on the Date column header to filter the register by date and then check your account balance to verify that it is accurate.
    That's it.  The first couple of times I did this process it took a little more time to complete but now I can complete the entire process in just a couple of minutes.
    And if you don't like how it all worked out, there is no harm done.  Just restore the backup file you made and everything will be just as it was before you started the process.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    @zurubi - Sorry, but when you change your userid you will need to deactivate the account in Quicken and then reactivate it with the new userid.
    The duplicate transactions you mention is a possibility when you deactive/reactivate but it usually should not present much of a problem if you follow these steps before you reactivate:
    1. Be sure to back up your data file for quick recovery should something go wrong.
    2. Make sure all transactions in the account register are marked "R" for reconciled or blank for uncleard.
    3. Deactivate your account.
    4. Reactivate your account with the new userid. 
    5. Be sure to Link the download to your existing account in Quicken if you are so prompted.
    6. If duplicate transactions are downloaded, make sure you accept them all so they get entered into the register.  Once entered they will have "C" for cleared status.
    7. Review the more recent "C" status transactions to see if any of them should be kept in the register.  Change those that should be kept to "R" status.
    8. Click on the "Clr" column header in the register to sort all transactions by cleared status.
    9. Scroll down to the 1st "C" transaction and left click on it to shade it.
    10. Scroll down to the last "C" transaction and while holding down the Shift Key left click on it.  Now all "C" transactions in the register should be shaded.
    11. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and then left click on "Delete" and then on "Yes".  All your shaded "C" status transactions in the register will be deleted.
    12. Click on the Date column header to filter the register by date and then check your account balance to verify that it is accurate.
    That's it.  The first couple of times I did this process it took a little more time to complete but now I can complete the entire process in just a couple of minutes.
    And if you don't like how it all worked out, there is no harm done.  Just restore the backup file you made and everything will be just as it was before you started the process.

• zurubi
    zurubi Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac: thank you!
    The magic step was marking all past transactions R, that did the trick.

Problem solved!
  • Boatnmaniac
    @zurubi - I'm glad to hear it worked well for you.  Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.