Transactions are missing from Transaction Reports by Category

I am having issues with transactions download from Bank of America and Wells Fargo not showing up in reports. BofA 9 transaction & only 2 showed up in reports. WF 27 transactions and only 3 showed up in reports. After an hour of customer service time, the fix is to manually re-enter the transactions and delete the downloaded transaction. That assumes I have identified all of the missing transactions. Basically, the reports are useless. Quicken V6.1.1, Mac 11.2.1
Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    I've never seen this issue... Did you/customer service click the Edit button in the Transactions by Category report to restrict the report to just those two bank accounts (to make this easier) - and then click the Categories tab and change from the default of "Include only..." to the first button shown in the screenshot below - which includes ALL categories including transactions that are uncategorized?

When you do that ... do all 36 transactions show up vs just the 5?

(I'm wondering if something got corrupted with the auto-categorization during download and this might make the'missing' transactions at least show...)

PS And, obviously, check the Tags tab that it is set to include all (any or no tag), Payees tab (set to include all - any or none) and check the box for 'include hidden payees'.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• mjfa45
    mjfa45 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your time and input. I have solved the problem. I had a category label used both as a category and as a sub-category. Once the duplication was eliminated by renaming one of the categories, the issue was resolved.
  • MontanaKarl
    Thanks for posting back, @mjfa45 in case this happens to someone else.

That sounds like a bug in QMac to me....  Obviously the report code couldn't handle duplicate category names (at least as main and subcategory), so hopefully the developers see your post and decide if the bug is in the report module for not handling duplicate names... or in the category setup module for allowing duplicates.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @MontanaKarl  No, it's not a bug. As @mjfa45 said, it was a case of operator error. ;) Quicken allows you to have a subcategory name that's the same as a category name, (and that's not a bug). You could have "Auto:Auto" if you wanted to. Quicken allows you to always display "long" category names, and if you do, you probably won't get confused. But if you have your preferences set to show "short" category names -- the lowest level of subcategory -- you can get confused by choosing the wrong category (e.g. "Auto" instead of "Auto:Auto").

(And in the budget, it's easier to get confused, because you have the choice of selecting the man category, the subcategory, or both. So if you have similar or identically-named subcategories, it can be easy to think Quicken is not reporting correctly because you haven't selected the right items to be included.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    Hi @jacobs But, if the downloaded transactions will not appear in a Category report, then that's a bug isn't it?  The OP said that "auto:auto" transactions mysteriously would not show up in an All-Category transaction report.  That sounds like a bug doesn't it?

• jacobs
    I've tested having a same-name category and sub-category, and transactions show up properly in reports.

Here, I have a transaction for the main category Auto (which shows in the report as "Auto (Other)", a transaction for the subcategory Auto:Auto, and transactions for other sub-categories of Auto. It all works as expected. I don't think there's a bug. 

I think the OP had mis-categorized one or more transactions because the category and subcategory names were the same, and didn't have both included in the report. 
  • MontanaKarl
    @mjfa45
    Could you confirm whether or not your downloaded transactions - which presumably were automatically categorized (?) - would not show up in the transaction report when all categories were enabled?  I assume with 1 hour with customer support, that must have been tried or verified.  It sounded like that was the case and that you resolved by eliminating the same-named super and subcategories.  If it was really just a filtering issue, then this isn't a bug in the report module.  But, if the report was set to display all transactions, then it does sound like a bug.

@jacobs - Thanks for the steps to reproduce - but the OP said this was not an issue with manually entered transactions, but with downloads.  Hence, I've asked the OP above to clarify.  Great that manually entered transactions are not an issue. Only the OP can confirm what really happened with the downloaded/auto-categorized transactions since we can't reproduce that.

• jacobs
    I've never seen or heard of a difference between manually-entered and downloaded transactions in reports. (Which isn't to say it's impossible! ;) But highly unlikely.)
This discussion has been closed.