Capital One Bank doesn't download Bill Reminder transactions

This situation started happening just in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure it was after a Quicken SW update, but can't remember exact date or update version. I'm currently on Version R31.12 Build 27.1.31.12

I have a number of Bill Reminders set up that will automatically add entries into my bank account registers. In my checking account, these are marked in the register as Uncleared. In my credit card register, they're marked with a little pencil as "Not yet matched to a downloaded transaction." In the past, when I did a One Step Update, the matching transactions would get downloaded from my bank and credit card accounts and I would have an option to Match the transactions; or sometimes if they didn't exactly match I would have to fix something and then match them.

Starting 2 or 3 weeks ago, the One Step Update stopped downloading any transactions that match register entries that were entered by Bill Reminders. They're just not there. I can see them on my online bank statement and some of them are 4 and 6 days old so they are not "pending transactions". All other transactions in my bank & credit card accounts are being downloaded just fine. Only the ones that go with Bill Reminder entries are missing.

I contacted Quicken support and they had me Deactivate and Reactivate the accounts, but that did nothing. They finally threw up their hands and said I had to talk to the bank. When I contacted Capital One, they told me they don't have any Quicken experts so I needed to go back to Quicken for help. I don't know if this is specific to Capital One or not, because Capital One is the only online banking institution that I use that also has Bill Reminders entered.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SLF57,

When you say "They're just not there." are you saying that the Quicken download does not include those entries?  In your preference settings for downloaded transactions, do you have "Automatically add to banking registers" checked?  And/or is there a "C" in the Clr column for these transactions? Is i possible that you changed settings in the past 2 or 3 weeks? If so, it sounds like Quicken is working as designed.

Let me know, if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SLF57
    SLF57 Member
    Frankx - thanks for your reply. Correct - the Quicken download does not include those entries. All other transactions in the bank accounts do get included in the download. Only the entries that would normally "match" an entry in the Quicken account register do not get downloaded.

The "Automatically add to banking registers" is NOT checked. And none of these transactions have a "C" in the Clr column. I have not changed my settings in the last 2 or 3 weeks that I am aware of.

As I mentioned, I do seem to remember that there was a somewhat significant Quicken SW release about the time that this issue first appeared. But I can't tell you when exactly it happened, or what SW release it was.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hello @SLF57

[Edited]

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. We are seeing reports of transactions not matching or transfers not being detected.

If you have not done so already, please open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem and report this issue using this form.

This report will be used to investigate and research this issue further. 

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • SLF57
    SLF57 Member
    Tyka - I just now reported the issue as you suggested. I tried to include screen captures but it didn't give me a place to include them. Hoping someone will contact me if they need screenshots. Also hoping someone will contact me, regardless. :)
  • SLF57
    SLF57 Member
    An update on this issue: If I change the amount of the Bill Reminder entry in the Quicken register, or if for whatever reason the Capital One amount doesn't match the amount in the Quicken register, then the transaction is downloaded from Capital One into the Quicken register and I'm able to manually fix / match the downloaded entry with the Bill Reminder entry.

Also, if I mark the Bill Reminder item as Cleared so I can then Reconcile the Quicken register with the Capital One account; next time I do a One Step Update, or Sync Quicken on exit, the "missing" Capital One account entries are THEN downloaded into the Quicken account register so that I then have to delete them to avoid double entry.

Thus, it would appear to this old Software Engineer that something in the download logic mistakes Bill Reminder "Uncleared" or "Unmatched" items as having already been downloaded from Capital One and thus doesn't download them. Once I mark them "Cleared" or change the amount so they don't exactly match any longer, then the logic goes back to working as it's supposed to work.
This discussion has been closed.