Tracking mileage

I have numerous rental properties and also a business so I have lots of mileage to enter and track separately. The only place I see to enter mileage is under rental property transactions. I don't see anything under business, and for that matter, people that have neither could be tracking it for medical or charity reasons. Why is there not more options for tracking this? Am I missing it? Also, the window that comes up for entering it is good, with all the questions and format, but the list of already entered mileage transactions is so small, it's very difficult to search through. Do other people struggle with this? Also, in reports, there is no place to run a report, except for the Schedule C or Es. It just seems there should be something more user friendly for tracking this.

Best Answer

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    If you switch to View>Classic Menus, you should see Mileage Tracker as an option when you customize toolbar.  Once added to the toolbar, you can then switch back to Standard Menus.

Alternatively, you can find Mileage tracker under Business tab>Business Tools>Mileage Tracker.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a closer look at the Mileage feature.
    I track Charitable mileage, medical mileage and others.
    There's a "Trip Type" dropdown box that let's you select those other types of mileage.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• heyleggs
    heyleggs Member ✭✭
    I see those options, but where did you access the tracker? The only place I can see to bring it up is within the "Rental" tab. Is there some place else I'm missing?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're showing Icons for various actions in your copy of Q, right click in that gray icon bar and select "Customize Toolbar".
    You can add the Mileage icon to the toolbar from that menu.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA, unfortunately Mileage Tracker is not available under Available toolbar buttons.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Scooterlam
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    If you switch to View>Classic Menus, you should see Mileage Tracker as an option when you customize toolbar.  Once added to the toolbar, you can then switch back to Standard Menus.

Alternatively, you can find Mileage tracker under Business tab>Business Tools>Mileage Tracker.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Scooterlam! I've always wanted to add Mileage Tracker to the toolbar but didn't realize I had to switch to Classic Menus to do it.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AAAH, I do use "Classic Menus", and didn't realize that such was a requirement either.

• Scooterlam
    edited February 2021
    There is some odd, buggy behavior when selecting Mileage Tracker in the Customize Toolbar dialog.     If you are in Classic Menus and don't find Mileage Tracker selection in the Customize Toolbar dialog, just restart Quicken and try again.

I found that if I started in Standard Menus, then switch to Classic Menus, I was able to find and select Mileage Tracker in the Customize Toolbar dialog. Normal.

If I switch back to Standard Menus without adding Mileage Tracker icon to the toolbar and then, once again, toggle my view back to Classic Menus, I find that Mileage Tracker is no longer listed/selectable in the Customize Toolbar dialog.   

In other words, Mileage Tracker is selectable(Customize Toolbar) on the first cycle of menu view change but disappears on the second...  Happened to me anyway and completely repeatable.
  • heyleggs
    heyleggs Member ✭✭
    Thanks Scooterlam. That is helpful. I still wish the tracker itself was a little more user friendly. It's great when entering the trips, but searching through the list of existing trips could be easier.
  • Scooterlam
    heyleggs said:
    Thanks Scooterlam. That is helpful. I still wish the tracker itself was a little more user friendly. It's great when entering the trips, but searching through the list of existing trips could be easier.
    In terms of searching through your vehicle mileage list, have you tried the "customize mileage list" feature?    When you are in the Vehicle Mileage dialog, click on the Customize button.  Seems like there is good filter capability there.  Image.

Otherwise, feel free to create an idea post that describes and illustrates how searching the list could be improved.   Others can vote on it and perhaps gain the attention of the Quicken product team.

• heyleggs
    heyleggs Member ✭✭
    The customize feature is helpful but for me the problem is it's all in one window and my laptop, though it has a 14" screen, only allows me to see 4 lines at a time. You must be using a bigger monitor to see so many lines of your list. It would be better if the mileage tracker came up like the bills/deposits list does. The list is there and takes up the entire page, and if you want to add, a new window pops up. I will do as suggested and open an idea post. Thank you so much.
  • Scooterlam
    heyleggs said:
    The customize feature is helpful but for me the problem is it's all in one window and my laptop, though it has a 14" screen, only allows me to see 4 lines at a time. You must be using a bigger monitor to see so many lines of your list. It would be better if the mileage tracker came up like the bills/deposits list does. The list is there and takes up the entire page, and if you want to add, a new window pops up. I will do as suggested and open an idea post. Thank you so much.
    Sure thing.  With 4 lines of the Mileage Tracker table showing,  I am curious if you are using either Quicken "Large Fonts" or Windows scaling feature > 100%?
This discussion has been closed.