can I limit txf export contents

I am attempting to export capital gains transactions to a txf file so I can import to TurboTax (my 30+ year old data file is > 250MB large - after extending - and is potentially corrupted. It is preventing direct movement of transactions to TurboTax this year). I use tax free money market funds at Fidelity and Vanguard and have more than a hundred transactions I would like to eliminate from the export/import since share price is constant at $1 and there are no capital gains or losses to report. Is it possible to exclude these transactions?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Capital Gains report allows you to specify (customize) accounts, security type, and security.  So, yes, you can limit the scope by excluding the MM types or specific securities.  Then select the export option to a tax export file (TXF). 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way I know of to exclude transactions from the TXF file.

Maybe you can import the data directly from Vanguard and Fidelity to TTax.

Or you can open Quicken's TXF file with a text editor and you should be able to carefully edit it if you want. In my file it appears that almost all of the money market transactions are at the beginning after the header info.

Just be sure that the imported data is correct in TTax.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Capital Gains report allows you to specify (customize) accounts, security type, and security.  So, yes, you can limit the scope by excluding the MM types or specific securities.  Then select the export option to a tax export file (TXF). 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! I learn something new every day!

QWin Premier subscription
  • MSDalt
    MSDalt Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much for the ideas. I was unaware that I could export a Quicken report to a TXF format file. Nor was I aware that a text editor could edit one. You have simplified my life and I am very grateful!
    Mike
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSDalt said:   I use tax free money market funds at Fidelity and Vanguard ....
    Have you used the TTax Import feature directly from Fidelity and Vanguard into TTax ?
    You can select which accts you want to import from a given institution.
    Therefore, if you have any other Fidelity or Vanguard accts, you could just UN-check the tax free MM accts..... or - just delete the data forms once inside TTax

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MSDalt
    MSDalt Member ✭✭
    Thanks for that.
    Fidelity has only issued a preliminary Consolidated 1099 so I am waiting for the final draft before tackling an import. The tax fee money funds are held in the brokerage accounts where all of the other trades occur... but captial gains transactions seem to be excluded from the 1099B forms I plucked from the Fidelity & Vanguard websites.
    With regard to deleting transactions within TurboTax: I have roughly 100 transactions to delete and TurboTax seems to recalculate my entire return after every deletion, slowing the process considerably.
    I was going to compare results from the Quicken upload to those from the brokerage imports. The brokers lack some of the basis data for securities I had held for a very long time.
    I am grateful for your taking time to comment.
This discussion has been closed.