Why won't Categories save Tax Line Items?

:s Quicken will not save updates to Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense line items. On phone with Tech Support for 2 hours yesterday and they couldn't figure it out either. Followed all instructions, and after selecting any correct entry, i.e., Schedule E: Repairs, still no save. How are you all out there getting ready for taxes with out being able to use this feature? Or, what secret steps are you using to make the save work?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Turbofast

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Can you please clarify where in the program you are seeing this issue? Is this the category list or on a transaction in a register?

I would like to see if I can recreate what you are seeing to better isolate the cause of this issue.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Thanks for asking Quicken Tyka.
    Go to Reports, Tax, Tax Schedule. If there are entries which say something like, "Schedule E:Unspecified Rental Expense", Schedule C:Unspecified..." my understanding is either Quicken can't import and/or TurboTax won't accept?
    And yes, the Category specifies Schedule E:Rental Expense (for example) along with a property Tag.
    My expectation is there would be no "Unspecified" results.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Turbofast

Thank you for the response and the additional details. If you select one of these transactions from the report, are you unable to change the category of the transaction?

Can you please provide a screenshot of the transaction in the Quicken register Snipping Tool?

You can then drag the image to the comment box to share it with the Community.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Thanks for checking back in Tyka. I attached a pdf with screen shots documenting the problems I'm seeing. These are similar shots to those provided to the Quick Tech Support. Hope you have some answers for me.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Turbofast

Thank you for the screenshots and the additional details. So, far I am unable to recreate this issue. I can successfully edit the tax line assignment and do not have issues saving this information.

If you have not done so already, can you please create a new category with the proper tax assignment then edit the transaction to change the category.  Does this resolve the unspecified transactions?

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Tyka, Yes, I did try creating a new category (with Technical Support on 2/16/21) but Quicken still failed. Guess I'll have to dump Quicken and return to the manual Excel.
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    By the way the case number is 8342272.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Turbofast

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I have reviewed the contact with support and I see the initial contact was due to crashing. I see that all steps or restoring a backup as well as validating did not correct this issue.

As I am unable to recreate this behavior in a test file, it is looking as though this issue may stem from file damage. I want to be sure that we try all we can before determining that to be the cause. One step I did not see the Super Validate process listed in the case notes. 

File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair optionHold down  <SHIFT and CTRL> Key(s) while selecting the "Validate and Repair". You will then have an option to "Super Validate" the file.

Please let me know how it goes.
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken_Tyka,
    Many thanks for following up with my problem Schedule Es. I backed up my file and followed your recommendation and performed the "Validate and Repair". Sadly, Quicken is still not saving Schedule E related transactions to specify Repairs or Cleaning or any line item. Quicken does save changes to Schedule B, Dividends. So, could it be a Schedule problem? Do you use/test Schedule E and does it behave properly for you?
    Yesterday, I asked yet another Quicken Tech Support if I need to reinstall Quicken for a fix. He said not a good idea. He recommended I open another ticket via the "Report A Problem" option, including many logs via the Help drop down menu. Which I did.
    Any other ideas?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Turbofast

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I am able to successfully change the categories on the transactions to a different category so they reflect the proper tax line.

The main difference is that I did have to create this Unspecified Rental Expense category and line item to test this. While it appears that this category is being created in your file for you. However, this is still more likely due to file damage than a global issue with the Schedule E Tax line item. Do recall when this first began to occur? Would it be possible to restore a backup file prior to this issue occurring? 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Aloha and Greetings Quicken Tyka,
    I've seen the instruction to resolve from very early on and chalked it up to my newbie status and not having a lot of imported data. And "assumed" I'd find the instructions to resolve. I realize I'm not the only one with this problem, per other entries back in 2018....

So...to resolve, all I should be required to do is select the correct Schedule E line item, hit OK and be done. The system will save a Schedule B line item selection - but that selection is so wrong!
    I'm following all the correct steps, confirmed by Tech Support Andy(2/16), Jose (2/26-call dropped), Andy (2/26).
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Not sure if this will help as I am not completely across your issue. However it seems many of your transactions do not have any category assigned (the blue highlighted field below is blank). You cannot assign or edit a transaction inside a screen report. You have to go to the register where it is entered and edit it there, click category drop down and select one from there. Ultimately you have to check what category may have been chosen on import or manually change it to correct it. Are you in the Account register trying to change them when you say they won't save tax lines or are you in the report output trying to change them?. Sorry if this is already obvious but sometime we uncover gaps in understanding by not assuming any background knowledge - just trying to help.
  • Turbofast
    Turbofast Member ✭✭
    Greetings YingDave,
    Most Esteemed Sir, you are on to something and are correct in my limited background knowledge. I did not know the difference between a register and an account view. I found the register and entered more categories. Sadly, even though progress is made on most entries, some of the Schedule E line items still do not save. A couple of my tags have a Business rather than Property type. I could use a really good class in this software as its apparent I've too many Tags than needed.
This discussion has been closed.