Version R31.5 connection error with American Express and Mountain America CU - Direct

Recently updated to R31.5 - One Step update connection error for American Express or Mountain America CU - Direct.
American Express error OL-293-A
Mountain America CU - Direct error "cannot use passwords provided"
I have not made any changes to passwords for either of these accounts.

One Step Update was working yesterday for both accounts.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @owl1161

Thank you for the response and for providing more details.

An "It's not your fault" error will require a contact to support for a review of the log files and possible escalation to resolve.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • ClickClayton
    ClickClayton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Quicken Francisco and @Quicken_Tyka and @owl1161 I just got off the phone with Mountain America Credit Union for the third time in the last few weeks. The last two times, they had no resolution. This time, they said the following:

"After assuming Quicken made some update that was causing the issue, and after narrowing it down as you did to a password/PIN issue, and after a bunch of trial and error with patient customers and staff, we were able to determine that Quicken now requires banks to use account direct connect passwords that meet the following requirements: 8-17 characters, both letters and numbers, and at least one capital letter. We are frustrated as you are that we were not notified of this change by Quicken, as we were using four-digit PIN numbers for all of our customers to connect to Quicken up to this point with no issues."

I had them create a new compliant password for my account while on the phone, and now Quicken is successfully connecting to my MACU accounts again.

I hope Quicken Support can see from this case that you have issues with both how you communicate your product requirements to financial partners as you make updates, AS WELL AS a clear issue with not being responsive enough or helpful enough in this community to engage with subscribers who are encountering issues to be more responsive, give more helpful information, ask better questions, and troubleshoot together.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @owl1161

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. Has this been happening for a while or is this a more recent thing? Generally when you're getting this error it could be a small outage with your banking's servers as the error you're getting is a direct connect error. If you wouldn't mind could you try out the steps below in the article for the error.

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-quicken-online-services-ol-293-or-ol-294

Once you get a chance to try the steps out let us know how it goes! 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    American Express is working correctly now. 

MACU accounts:  the Last Download date and time change to today's date indicating the update was successful when I try to update from within the account but nothing was downloaded.
    I have two different account numbers. 
    Updating within the account, I receive a message window to enter the password but no place to enter it. 
    The passwords for both accounts are saved in the vault.  If I try to use One Step Update I get the same message window to enter the passwords for the two accounts with no place to enter them.
  • ClickClayton
    ClickClayton Member ✭✭
    I am also seeing this same problem with my Mountain America CU - Direct connection. When trying to update, even with the password saved in the vault, I get a separate light box prompt that says "Please Enter Your Passwords" twice at top, and then a "To continue, enter the password for the following institutions" message too. In the list below, I see a "Mountain America CU - Direct" box but I cannot click on it and there is nowhere to enter/re-enter the password (and obviously no need since it is saved in the vault). All I can do is click "OK" and then I return to the One Step Update box with no update performed for MACU or any other accounts. I am not able to update any other accounts either as long as Mountain America CU - Direct is checked. It stops the whole show. It has been doing this for a week or so now. Thanks for the prompt help in resolving!
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    I did not have the issue with Mountain America CU - Direct on 1/18/2021. 
    The problem started for me after updating to version 31.5 on 1/19/2021.
  • ClickClayton
    ClickClayton Member ✭✭
    Hi @"Quicken Francisco"

FYI this is still happening. I have tried those steps in the article you linked, and in fact in even deactivating/reactivating online services with Mountain America CU I get this same error mid-setup and can't even complete that process. I also contacted the person at the bank who is over the Quicken service last week, and they confirmed many customers have called them and that it is, as far as they know, a Quicken-side error.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @ClickClayton

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering here if maybe we may need to try changing the connection methods and that might help with the issue we're having. I'll leave steps down below. 

First I recommend saving a backup.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

1. Hold down F4 and select Help > About Quicken
    2. From here you may be using the FDS or QCS connection.
    3. Try changing the connection method then close Quicken.
    4. Once you've restarted try to update the account again. I would recommend trying to update individually. You'll want to click on one of the accounts and in the top right click on the cog wheel. From there select update now.

Once you've done this let us know if you're having issues still. If this does not resolve it you're able to change the connection method back by going the first step again and closing the program. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I followed the steps given by Quicken Francisco (changed to QCS) and I still cannot update MACU accounts.  The Online Update for This Account window opens.  If I click Fill passwords, I can enter the vault password, then the Edit Password Vault window opens.  And I cannot change the connection back to FDS.  I restored my previous file.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    I tried adding a new account for MACU and get a connection error.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @owl1161

Thank you for the response and for providing more details.

An "It's not your fault" error will require a contact to support for a review of the log files and possible escalation to resolve.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Responding to Quicken_Tyka, I have been having issues with update MACU account since January 19th with the R31.5 release.  January 18th everything was fine.  Since I could not update my MACU accounts I thought I would try to add new MACU accounts, and that also does not work.  Please see previous comments on this issue.  There are others having the same problem.
  • ClickClayton
    ClickClayton Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka and @""Quicken Francisco" I hope I can add some details here to assist you in understanding and enlisting help in resolving.

The "it's not your fault" error is not the first that I get. I have the same issue as @owl1161 and it's important to know that in the process of activating one step update for MACU accounts, the connection to the bank is successful and my accounts all show up for selecting "add/link" options. However, once you click "next" on that step, BEFORE I get the error screen with "not your fault" I get a very odd interstitial error screen of "Please Enter Your Passwords" and it appears to be a software glitch that it is even there. See attached screenshot. The account is listed in a drop-down in this box but there is nothing you can do with it (bank not selectable, and nowhere to add a password). Only thing to do is to click the "OK" button to exit the interstitial window, at which point the "not your fault screen" is shown.

Two other important things to note.

1) Once I am to this point, all of my MACU accounts show being successfully connected to one step update through the bank (and in account details online section). However, if I include MACU in any one step updates I run, I get the same weird interstitial window and I am unable to initiate the one step update process at all. I DO NOT get an "it is not your fault" error ever again. I do see this glitchy "please enter your password" lightbox. If I exclude MACU from the one step update entirely by unchecking the bank, then it runs without issue for all other accounts and syncs online.

2) Even though I checked the box to store the MACU password in the vault while I was in the setup process, and even though that password initially worked successfully in the setup process to connect with the bank and link accounts, it does not show as saved in either the one step update screen (has box to enter it) or in the vault (shows as "No" in "Password Stored" column. Here is where I see another error. I use the "Add Password" button in the vault, and enter my password, and then I get a message that says "Mountain America CU - Direct could not use the password you entered." when I click the "Add button." See the second screenshot I have attached here.

So it appears that this software glitch has to do with the password vault storing and using the MACU password or not liking the password format (which, by the way, is a four number password for this bank, like a PIN number). Again, the password worked in the online services setup process for the bank. But in the vault AND the one step update process, however the password is being called and used is throwing an error in the background and causing this issue.

And, like Owl said, this only began after the mid-January software update. It has continued through the last three updates, and if I do a backup/restore process to data files further in the past (before the update) it immediately appears when I do a one step update as well.

That is my two cents. I hope it is helpful. Please advise, as I need my main bank to connect in Quicken again for oh so many reasons. Thanks!
  • ClickClayton
    ClickClayton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Quicken Francisco and @Quicken_Tyka and @owl1161 I just got off the phone with Mountain America Credit Union for the third time in the last few weeks. The last two times, they had no resolution. This time, they said the following:

"After assuming Quicken made some update that was causing the issue, and after narrowing it down as you did to a password/PIN issue, and after a bunch of trial and error with patient customers and staff, we were able to determine that Quicken now requires banks to use account direct connect passwords that meet the following requirements: 8-17 characters, both letters and numbers, and at least one capital letter. We are frustrated as you are that we were not notified of this change by Quicken, as we were using four-digit PIN numbers for all of our customers to connect to Quicken up to this point with no issues."

I had them create a new compliant password for my account while on the phone, and now Quicken is successfully connecting to my MACU accounts again.

I hope Quicken Support can see from this case that you have issues with both how you communicate your product requirements to financial partners as you make updates, AS WELL AS a clear issue with not being responsive enough or helpful enough in this community to engage with subscribers who are encountering issues to be more responsive, give more helpful information, ask better questions, and troubleshoot together.
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Thank you @ClickClayton for your research and solution! Quicken did not include this change in the release notes. [Removed - Speculation]
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    I called MACU and had them change my password to the new requirements that Quicken implemented. I cannot connect to MACU. I cannot add a new MACU account. I have deactivated all online services for all my MACU accounts. I get a CC-503 error. The account number and password (9 characters, both letters and numbers, with one Capital letter) are correct. I even created a brand new quicken file and tried to add the MACU account, and still get the CC-503 error.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hello @owl1161

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

if you haven't already, please review the troubleshooting steps available here.

If the invalid login errors persist, I would recommend contacting Quicken Support for assistance with additional troubleshooting steps and/or possible escalation to our service providers to resolve.

Please let us know how it goes, thank you.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    After waiting 24 hours after MACU updated my password I am able to connect to my accounts again. I noticed my comment about Quicken not including the new password requirements in their release notes was marked "[Removed - Speculation]". It was not speculation. I reviewed all the release notes since the last day I did NOT have a problem (January 18th) and none of the release notes include the new password configuration requirements. MACU also confirmed that they were not notified of the new requirements.
  • Frisky070802
    Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    [Removed-Rant/Off Topic]
This discussion has been closed.