categories

Options
"Lost" categories! I cannot display categories except for "required" or "unused" although they ae present when assigning them to items. I spent over an hour with Quicken rep and could not resolve.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is probably an easy fix. In the Categories window, click the gear icon at the bottom. Is "Show Only Unused Categories" checked? If so, uncheck it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Pro am
    Pro am Member
    Options
    categories
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is probably an easy fix. In the Categories window, click the gear icon at the bottom. Is "Show Only Unused Categories" checked? If so, uncheck it.
  • Pro am
    Pro am Member
    Options
    WOW! thanks so much! I am a long time Quicken user so had my own list of categories/subcategories for many years. Was faced with adjusting to Quicken's list when I moved to subscriber, so I had been merging/transferring items and ...oops!
    So many, many thanks
  • RickO
    Options
    Nothing prevents you from using your own categories and subcategories and deleting Quicken's built-in ones (except the Required ones). That's what I do.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The only thing to know is that if you download banking and/or credit card transactions, and you take advantage of Quicken's ability to automatically categorize those transactions, you need to use Quicken's categories; the auto-categorization it uses is tied to Quicken's categories, and there's no way to "re-map" them. Of course, you can create QuickFill rules to insure your Payees map to your categories, so it doesn't matter if you delete Quicken's default categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.