Corrupted files

Ok. This is the THIRD time that this has happened, and I'm just about ready to call it quits with Quicken.

EVERY time I update Quicken my file gets corrupted. Various things happen. Mainly, my accounts go from say +50,000 to -100000 or an account which I have had for decades suddenly can't connect. All of a sudden I'm $125,000 in debt because somehow I haven't paid a single CC bill since 2018!

It takes me several evenings to correct it. And no, restoring from backup does NOTHING. I've tried several backups. None of them work. The issue always starts at 1/1/2018. The only ways to correct it is to destroy all records after 1/1/2018 and redownload them or manually create the links between the accounts. Both are painful and since most online banks only go back 2 years, I'm screwed for good recordkeeping now.

I miss the old Quicken. I've been a customer since 1995 and haven't had issues until Quicken went to subscription service.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

Answers

• JDPINC
    JDPINC Member ✭✭
    Addendum: After updating Quicken my Discover card ALWAYS goes berserk. A slashed circle icon appears next to the account name and Quicken acts like it's never heard of the account. When I go to reactivate the account it has to ask me which account to tie it to.
  • JDPINC
    JDPINC Member ✭✭
    Addendum2: I've verified and fixed the file several times. No affect.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

• JDPINC
    JDPINC Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your help.

I created another account, 'Junkfile', deleted all online accounts except for Junkfile, exited Quicken, reopened Junkfile, reopened my original file... and I still had a messed up file. I then I opened a backup from 2/18, which worked fine. I'll use it.

So, I have to do this every time I upgrade? Why does this only happen when I upgrade? Do I need to delete the online account before or after I upgrade?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JDPINC ,

Get into the habit of doing Manual Backups, every time before closing Quicken. This way, if you get an Update, simple restore the last Manual Backup, if necessary, without breaking a sweat.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• JDPINC
    JDPINC Member ✭✭
    I did a manual backup on 2/18, the last time I closed it. Restoring from the backup had no effect. I had to use the process above to make it work.
  • JJJJJ
    JJJJJ Member
    Try clicking on Date heading in the damaged account to change the date sort order. No theory as to why this worked but it did for me. I can not reproduce the original error condition to test again. I was having similar problems to others such as credit card payments lost and large negative balance. Not sure if the fault was connected with an update, just noticed it today. I think this may have fixed everything, but still checking to be sure. Very strange!!
This discussion has been closed.