Anyone know how to "Find and Replace" in reports or accounts? (Q Mac)

PeterSchum
PeterSchum Member
edited February 2021 in Reports (Mac)
For some reason the Find And Replace function was dropped. I have the Quicken Subscription edition. I found it most valuable when changing large numbers of uncategorized or miscategorized transactions. Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @PeterSchum

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was taking a look and I believe the find and replace feature is one that is on windows but not Mac. In any case we're still able to mass edit similar transactions fairly easily so that you don't have to go through individually. Using the search bar in the top right above the register we're able to quickly find anything we're looking for. 

First on the left you'll want to select the account you're trying to update transactions for. If it's all the accounts select all transactions at the top of the left. Once you have the account selected you can find the payee you're looking for by searching in the top right or if you hold control on your keyboard and click on the payee. You'll get a list of options and there will be an option saying Find (Payee). That'll choose all of them so that you only have those showing. 

Once you only have them showing we'll want to highlight the transactions and that can be done by clicking on a transaction so it's highlighted then doing Command + A  on the keyboard. This will mass highlight all the transactions. hold control and click on any highlighted transaction. The menu will pop up again and you'll want to select edit transaction. From here a small popup box will pop up letting you edit multiple values to your liking. In your case you'll want to checkmark categories then type in the appropriate category. Click OK once finished. You should have all your categories changed to the specified one. 

This is much easier to do that is it explained so once you do it once it should be fairly quick to do. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you select a bunch of transactions and then menu File > Get Info, you can change en mass any of the fields listed there. Unfortunately, not all fields are included. Evern more unfortunately, this does not affect any lines of a split transaction.

There is an idea topic somewhere here on the forum to vote for adding full Find and Replace functionality.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓

Hello @PeterSchum

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was taking a look and I believe the find and replace feature is one that is on windows but not Mac. In any case we're still able to mass edit similar transactions fairly easily so that you don't have to go through individually. Using the search bar in the top right above the register we're able to quickly find anything we're looking for. 

First on the left you'll want to select the account you're trying to update transactions for. If it's all the accounts select all transactions at the top of the left. Once you have the account selected you can find the payee you're looking for by searching in the top right or if you hold control on your keyboard and click on the payee. You'll get a list of options and there will be an option saying Find (Payee). That'll choose all of them so that you only have those showing. 

Once you only have them showing we'll want to highlight the transactions and that can be done by clicking on a transaction so it's highlighted then doing Command + A  on the keyboard. This will mass highlight all the transactions. hold control and click on any highlighted transaction. The menu will pop up again and you'll want to select edit transaction. From here a small popup box will pop up letting you edit multiple values to your liking. In your case you'll want to checkmark categories then type in the appropriate category. Click OK once finished. You should have all your categories changed to the specified one. 

This is much easier to do that is it explained so once you do it once it should be fairly quick to do. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Gpk
    Gpk Member
    Thank you so much!
  • Quicken Francisco
    @Gpk

Glad to have helped! If you do run into any other issues feel free to comment on an exist thread or post another question! 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • jbsocal
    jbsocal Member
    Can the Memo field be searched? I'm using Quicken Starter Mac Subscription and was using Quicken 2007. When entering a transaction, a Memo area is offered and I used that a LOT in Quicken 2007 to search for specific items but Quicken Starter Mac doesn't appear to allow including the Memo field in a search even though it's offered as a field. I often use the same payee but I enter info in the Memo field so that I may find a specific item later. How do I search the Memo field in Quicken Started Mac?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jbsocal Are you using the Search box on the upper right of your register? That definitely will search the Memo/Notes field -- if you have the Memo/Notes field visible in the register. If it's not currently visible, click on the Columns icon on the bottom toolbar, and click Memo/Notes to make it visible. (You will have to do this in each register you use.) Once visible, Search will search that field.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jbsocal
    jbsocal Member
    jacobs, It works, that's awesome - thank you so much for your info! Appreciate you taking the time to do that.
This discussion has been closed.