What is best method to get a Cash Flow report or a good substitute for one?

Apparently a Cash Flow report is not available in Quicken for Mac; is there a good work-around?

Best Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @gardurant

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. You should be able to get a cash flow report in the reports section. To access it should be across the top on reports > popular > Cash flow. You can also click on reports and you should see cash report listed as well. If you're having trouble finding it let me know and we'll see what we can find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant  Yes, the reply from Francisco is specific to Quicken Mac.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant  Subscribing does absolutely nothing for you until you download the software. I'd wait until you're ready to use the software to purchase it. (Should you find Quicken doesn't meet your needs, you can get your money back within 30 days of purchase.) But if you can download the program and "play" with it, go ahead.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant

If you're looking for a more personal experience on the program and getting started I would also like to let you know that you do have the option to contact our Quicken Support's Quicken 1-2-3 team by completing the form available here

The agent will guide you through the Quicken program and answer any questions you may have!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • jacobs
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    @gardurant  The learning resources for Quicken Mac are unfortunately rather scattered. Some you will find will talk about prior versions, which is generally fine, but won't necessarily be helpful for some of the new features which have been unveiled over the past year or so. 

Quicken has a page on their website called The Complete Guide to Getting Started with Quicken Mac. It's from a few years ago, but the information is still fundamentally accurate. It's hardly a complete user manual, but it's a start:
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac

Here's another page on the Quicken website which offers, on the right side, several links to information about getting started with Quicken Mac:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips

Quicken also has some short videos on different features in Quicken Mac, which you can view here.

Perhaps better: one of the best introductions to Quicken Mac continues to be a series of videos a fellow user here made back when Quicken 2015 came out. They're a bit dated because some things have changed since the 2015 version, but the core of how to set up accounts, create and edit entries, use search and report, is mostly unchanged -- and a better primer than Quicken's own shorter videos. I think anyone who watches all these videos can jump into using Quicken Mac with a decent idea how things work:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg3kc_5lgZOLvyDPMbg9dQ

Finally, but not unimportantly: once you get Quicken Mac, don't overlook the built-in Help in Quicken. It's not a comprehensive user guide, but there's a lot of how-to information there.

Also, users new to Quicken can get a personal introductory session by phone from a Quicken representative. This "Quicken 1-2-3 team" is specifically trained and put together to assist new customers in getting familiarized with the program, learning how to utilize it to fit your needs, and answering any questions you may have. It's a free service (but you have to have purchased Quicken and have it installed before your session); click here to select a time slot and set up an appointment.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    There's definitely a bit of a learning curve to using Quicken, whether you've used a prior version or never used it before, so give it some time, keep asking questions, and hopefully you'll be up and running before long. :) Best wishes. 

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓

Hello @gardurant

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. You should be able to get a cash flow report in the reports section. To access it should be across the top on reports > popular > Cash flow. You can also click on reports and you should see cash report listed as well. If you're having trouble finding it let me know and we'll see what we can find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• gardurant
    gardurant Member ✭✭
    Thank you Quicken Francisco for responding to my request for help. I asked the question based on web searches that seemed to indicate that the Cash Flow reports are only available in Quicken for Windows. Your answer does not make specific reference to Quicken for Mac. Unfortunately, I cannot be hands-on with the application yet because I am still running Quicken 7 while getting ready for a new computer and an upgrade to the new Quicken product. If you can help me again by advising me if your answer does apply to the current Quicken for Mac, that would be most generous. In any event, thanks for your initial help and for providing a favorable introduction to the Quicken Community.

gardurant
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant  Yes, the reply from Francisco is specific to Quicken Mac.

• gardurant
    gardurant Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thank you! That's really good news. Is there a way for me to study the new Quicken before I'm otherwise prepared to start using it? Perhaps, if I subscribe now, would that give me full access to report and procedural information while waiting several weeks to download the software? Thanks again; this community's response is truly impressive.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant  Subscribing does absolutely nothing for you until you download the software. I'd wait until you're ready to use the software to purchase it. (Should you find Quicken doesn't meet your needs, you can get your money back within 30 days of purchase.) But if you can download the program and "play" with it, go ahead.
  • gardurant
    gardurant Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thanks for correcting my assumptions about making an early purchase. I think I have only one more question for this set: The following are sites I've identified so far as useful for understanding the new Quicken; are there others you can recommend? (URLs aren't necessary, just something denotative enough to allow me to find them.)
    https://community.quicken.com/
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
    https://www.quicken.com/support#osx
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-video-university-mac#osx
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    @gardurant

If you're looking for a more personal experience on the program and getting started I would also like to let you know that you do have the option to contact our Quicken Support's Quicken 1-2-3 team by completing the form available here

The agent will guide you through the Quicken program and answer any questions you may have!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • jacobs
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    @gardurant  The learning resources for Quicken Mac are unfortunately rather scattered. Some you will find will talk about prior versions, which is generally fine, but won't necessarily be helpful for some of the new features which have been unveiled over the past year or so. 

Quicken has a page on their website called The Complete Guide to Getting Started with Quicken Mac. It's from a few years ago, but the information is still fundamentally accurate. It's hardly a complete user manual, but it's a start:
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac

Here's another page on the Quicken website which offers, on the right side, several links to information about getting started with Quicken Mac:
    https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips

Quicken also has some short videos on different features in Quicken Mac, which you can view here.

Perhaps better: one of the best introductions to Quicken Mac continues to be a series of videos a fellow user here made back when Quicken 2015 came out. They're a bit dated because some things have changed since the 2015 version, but the core of how to set up accounts, create and edit entries, use search and report, is mostly unchanged -- and a better primer than Quicken's own shorter videos. I think anyone who watches all these videos can jump into using Quicken Mac with a decent idea how things work:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg3kc_5lgZOLvyDPMbg9dQ

Finally, but not unimportantly: once you get Quicken Mac, don't overlook the built-in Help in Quicken. It's not a comprehensive user guide, but there's a lot of how-to information there.

Also, users new to Quicken can get a personal introductory session by phone from a Quicken representative. This "Quicken 1-2-3 team" is specifically trained and put together to assist new customers in getting familiarized with the program, learning how to utilize it to fit your needs, and answering any questions you may have. It's a free service (but you have to have purchased Quicken and have it installed before your session); click here to select a time slot and set up an appointment.

• gardurant
    gardurant Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Francisco

Thanks for letting me know about this information source. I've saved the address. I think I'll work the online resources first to provide a grounding for the phone conversations with the Quicken 1-2-3 team. I see that as kind of the final step before download and hands-on. And thanks for letting me know about this great resource from Quicken Support.

gardurant
  • gardurant
    gardurant Member ✭✭
    @jacobs A big thank you for your expansive answer. I especially appreciate the references for the older but still useful sources that I would never have found on my own.
    Well, I'm off to study; when I return I hope my questions will be a little more focused. Again, thanks very much to you and to Quicken Francisco for both the content and the tone of your help. And thanks to the entire Community for providing or encouraging that tone.
    gardurant
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    There's definitely a bit of a learning curve to using Quicken, whether you've used a prior version or never used it before, so give it some time, keep asking questions, and hopefully you'll be up and running before long. :) Best wishes. 
This discussion has been closed.